Monday, March 20, 2023

Got That One Covered

In his continuing quest to update the covers for his stories that are on Amazon, Rish grabbed a new photo for me to use to create a new cover for his story "Rest Stop." It used to look like this:


Which isn't terrible, but it's got the usual Copperplate font green text with an ugly drop shadow action going on. I'm not a fan of it at all, so I was happy to throw together a new version with the new style of fonts that I've been using for Rish's stories.

For one thing, I think the picture Rish got is much better than the old one. I also find that the title is much more readable up in that spot in the sky there, which wasn't real estate that was available in the other picture. It's a really cool looking cover now.

One important thing about a cover design is how it looks when it's the tiny little thumbnail version, because that's how most people will see it. It has to be readable in that size for it to work. Somebody has to click on the thumbnail to see the cover at a larger size. This thumbnail looks pretty good.

I have to admit, that I am still learning about how to make a better cover. Many of the ones that I made for Rish in days past aren't as good as I'd like them to be. I'd like to go back and redo a lot of them. I'm not happy with how many of them came out, even though Rish likes them and thinks they're better than the covers he would have made or did make.

On top of that, I'd like to take all of Rish's covers and make them have an overarching style that makes you see his cover and know that it's a Rish Outfield story without even having to read the author's name on the cover.

Or maybe I should worry about getting my own stories published. I don't know. I guess we'll see what happens.

No comments: