Wednesday, March 15, 2023

More Small Scale Stuff

If you read my post a week ago about finding an Avatar power loader on clearance or the other one about how I found Lightyear toys on clearance too, then you know about my ideas for creating a space station in 1/72 scale where a bunch of little ships from various sci-fi properties can come together.

Well, that Avatar toy was the only one I had in that universe that I had so far, and I thought it was the only one I should probably get. The rest of what I'd seen weren't ships, but rather dragons and whales and stuff that the Na'vi used. They didn't really fit the aesthetic that I was going for. But then I happened to look online at what they had in the line, and saw that there were a few other ships that I ought to check out the next time I went looking for toys.

So, during this week's rounds, I went to the Walmart that had those Avatar toys on clearance at half-price. I looked behind the boxes in the front, and what do you know, they had some of the other toys. Like this one:

It's a crab robot submarine thing, but with some slight adjustments, it could easily be a spider repair drone mech thing instead. I would just have to turn the fan thing on the back into a jet engine instead. That shouldn't take a lot. Oh, and I'd have to take the figure out of the driver's seat and replace it with a smaller figure, because the ones in these toys are about twice the size of a 1/72 figure.

I went around the corner at the Walmart to look at the rest of the toys, when I saw that they had more of these Avatar toys there as well. Apparently, they really over ordered them. Ain't nobody wants these toys, so they were on clearance in two separate areas. Over at this second spot, they had the other final machine-based toy in the line. It was marked down to $10, so I thought it was cheap enough I could grab it.

This one is pretty good sized, and pretty nice. It obviously couldn't go to space with the X-Wings, but it could be a good ship for local transport. Again, I'd have to adjust the cockpit for smaller figures, but that should be fine.

Except, when I got them out to the car, I was shocked to find that the cockpits one both of them did not open. I couldn't believe it. I never expected that. I pulled and pried, and managed to get both of them open and remove the figure inside. I broke them a little bit each time, however.

The breaks aren't really noticeable, and I've learned a few things that can fix problems like that pretty easily, so it won't be an issue.

I may just paint black over the cockpits in black so you can't see that they are made for larger figures...and that there's nobody in them. Who knows.

I love the crab bots so much though. I'd like to get one more of them, and use them as the repair drone things in the station. It would be so cool to see them hanging off the side of a building with a big panel of metal or something that they are fixing damage to the station with. I probably need to get another one of those power loaders from the other post too. They would be really good as the machines loading things on the docks at the station. Maybe I could paint them yellow so they'd look more official.

The funny thing is that I have so many other things to do before I'll ever get around to starting on this space station that I sometimes wonder why I even bother. It'll probably be years before I even start. Maybe I never will at all. I wouldn't put it past me.

I would really like to be able to have something like this of my own to share with people though:

No comments: