Friday, March 10, 2023

In Or Out Of Scale

The other day I found this figure on sale for half off.

Avatar figures are already on sale. I guess, even though it made a lot of money, that didn't translate into merchandise sales. Which is fine by me. Back when I first saw the figures, I thought, "I need to get one or two of those to put on my forthcoming 1/72 scale space station."

I wasn't sure how it would fit in with my other stuff that was in that scale. Here we have a picture with a few of those things.

If you look at the figure sitting in the Avatar mech cockpit compared to the figure in the X-Wing fighter, they are not very similar in size. The Star Wars guy is the scale that I am trying to go for.

But you compare them out of the ship and it looks like the Zentradi vs. the humans from Robotech. Or, I guess for you modern folks who don't relate everything to something from the eighties, you could say that it looks like the humans are the size of the Na'Vi.

That's a problem for me with this 1/72 scale space station. Everything I've found is only vaguely 1/72 scale. The figures from the Lightyear movie are out of scale too.

To make the Avatar mech work with the other things I've got, I could do a couple of different things. I could black out the windows of the cockpit. Then you couldn't see just how giant the figure inside was. Or, I might be able to just jam two figures inside of it, so it looks like it's a two-seater, and therefore the perfect scale.

In general, I figure that not putting figures that are in different scales close to each other will make it harder to tell that they don't match. That Avatar guy, however, cannot make the cut. He won't be on the space station, but his mech should be fine. At the store, I compared it to a scout walker from the same toy line that the X-Wing came from, and they're basically the same size. So, they'll look pretty good together, I think.

2 comments:

Rish Outfield said...

Put Luke in the Power Loader, and let's see how it looks.

Big Anklevich said...

I did stick him in there. It's hard to do, because there's a huge hole where the Avatar figure's legs go, and you have to be careful not to let Luke fall into the hole. I think it would be easy to just cover that hole with some cardboard to keep him from falling. Luke could easily have a second figure sitting next to him at the controls, or even a third, to tell you the truth. It's a pretty big cockpit for these little guys, but it can look okay with a little adjustment and some hot glue or whatever.