Thursday, November 15, 2012

All I Want For Christmas

I've never had one in my life. I've had some ugly sweaters before, but never an ugly Christmas sweater. But I've recently grown envious of those who do have them. I want an ugly Christmas sweater.

I searched the web for Christmas sweaters, and I clicked on the first site on the list, JC Penny's. That's a super old-school kind of store, so they ought to have some good ugly sweaters, right? I mean, the last time I shopped at Penny's it was likely still the 1980s. So I proceeded to check it out.

They had some sweaters that fit the basic mold, but they weren't particularly ugly. I think I really want this red sweater now. It's got that snowflake design and stuff, although it's not particularly ugly. I kind of actually think it looks really good...

I went back to the search page and tried the next link. OH MY GOSH! Now these are ugly Christmas sweaters! Maybe I'm not so keen on having an ugly Christmas sweater after all.

At the very least, I have a hard time justifying spending $30 or more on one, since I would only wear it as a joke, and sparingly. I'm just not counterculture enough to get away with wearing it. I'm old enough that people would just assume I actually liked it instead of seeing that I am wearing it ironically like the hipsters do.

Ah well. I guess I'll just go with the JC Penny's one. I really like that one, so it won't even be ironic, and people will assume correctly instead.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Go to Goodwill or something, get it used. It's cheaper and you know that it was bad enough that someone else wanted to get rid of it. :)

Big Anklevich said...

I figured I'd do that, but unfortunately with Goodwill and the other thrift stores, you just gotta get lucky. I could look for weeks and never find a sweater that's very good. And then when I finally do find one, I've spent enough hours searching that I could have worked those hours or something and earned enough to buy several expensive sweaters. Opportunity cost I believe is what economists call that.