Thursday, May 19, 2022

Cat Scratch Fever

Every now and then, Empire Toy Works does a picture in front of the Rotgut Station exotic dance club/brothel. They're always kind of whimsical, based on the idea of sex with an alien creature and what kind of person would be looking for that.

I suppose that is likely to be the first business that opens up on a space station or a mining town or a port city, so there ought to be one.

I was at Ross, and found a figure that I thought might work for exactly that scenario. I had passed it up before because I hated the colors on it. I almost bought the six-inch version that Hasbro put out this year, but I just had nothing that I could use it for. However, in the 3.75 inch version, I could definitely use it.

It's the figure for the character called Lynx.

Yeah, it's like a Catwoman meets Maria from Metropolis or something. Except the colored arms and...what? Socks? I didn't like the colors, but I figured I could probably paint them silver, and then I'd have a nice sexy robot catwoman that would be exactly the kind of thing you'd expect on a space brothel.

I tried using this silver paint I had at the ready, but it slid right off the figure like the thing was made of Teflon. I was thinking that the plastic might be especially impervious to paint. Some plastics are like that. I learned all about it watching The Crafsman Show, as well as a potential fix.

I just needed to take some heat to the figure, it seemed. I was thinking about using the heat gun on the figure, but then I was at Hobby Lobby and saw a silver Sharpie in the impulse buy section at the register, and, on impulse, I bought it, thinking it might work for the figure, after all, I'd used Sharpies on figures before.

I gave it a shot...if I screwed it up, at least the figure only cost $5. Here's how it came out.

I was pretty satisfied. However, after taking this picture, I noticed that some of the silver had rubbed off and the color was showing from underneath. I hadn't been very careful about where I held the figure as I colored on it with the Sharpie, so I wasn't surprised. I hit it with another pass of the Sharpie, and I thought it looked much better.

It looked much better after that. I thought that maybe I ought to see if I could cover the silver with a lacquer to seal it in so that hopefully the color doesn't show through the silver again. Haven't tried that yet.

I did, however, happen upon another Lynx at Ross. Since she's just a robot seductress, there's no reason to have only one of them. After all, in the first scene of Star Wars we see another C-3PO in the background.

So, I bought another Lynx, and I'll have to color over the red, blue, and purple again.

Or maybe I should leave it? One colored one silver? Better selection at the brothel that way. Hmm...

Anyway, having these two makes me think of what else I could put with them. There is a Reaction Figure by Super7 of the aforementioned Maria from Metropolis.


Having Maria from Metropolis would be super cool, but I am loathe to buy the Reaction Figures version of it, because their figures are so simplistic and lame, yet cost more than anyone else's. It really kind of disgusts me. I guess we'll see if I give in and buy it someday or not.

Another idea is the Boss Fight Studios blank figures. It's a much higher quality sculpt but with the same kind of idea as long as you get it in the silver version.

Sorry, I hat the official Boss Fight Studio promotional images. They're so crappy. It's a miracle that anyone buys any of their figures at all. Toyark did a good picture when they reviewed the figures back in 2016. This will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

There's that one old set from Star Wars of the Jabba's palace dancers. I've seen them used in such a context a bunch of times.

Funny to see a sexy Greedo...or Greeta as they so cleverly named her. Remember when they named the Greedo looking guy in Jabba's palace Beedo? Recycling costumes must save a bunch on the budget, I guess.

No comments: