Sunday, August 11, 2024

I'm Not Alone

I used to read Dean Wesley Smith's blog all the time years ago, but I haven't done it much for a while now. These days, I only look at it when his wife, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, reposts it on Facebook and calls my attention to it. I saw her post on Facebook the other day the following:

Of course, rather than pay enough attention to what she wrote to follow the directions to find what she was actually referring to, I just clicked the link for Dean. It took me to the main page of his blog, where the post was not sarcastic at all, but just discussing some workshop he was putting on for writers.

I scrolled for a bit, and then found this post. It made me smile.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who wastes his time writing a blog post every day just to be able to say that I have. Then again, Smith probably makes tons of money off his blog, so he's not doing it for nothing. I have about six regular followers, so it's nothing more than a vanity thing for me...just to be able to say that I did, I guess. I haven't even been at it for a full year yet, I don't think. Let me look back at when the first daily post started...looks like it was October 8th of last year.

The funny thing was that I was close to daily before, and all I had to do was put in a slight amount more effort and I could have been there for years. I also learned to pace my posts more judiciously. I don't actually write a blog post a day, I publish a blog post a day. I usually have them written well ahead of publishing now. I sit down and write several at once, and set them to publish one a day off into the future. 

For a while, I would just publish things when they came up, and then I would have two or sometimes even three posts in one day, and no posts for several days in a row. Now I just space them out more. That way, I've been able to publish something every day, even while gone on vacation and the like. Sometimes it's silly, like all the posts I did about my Harry Potter books for the last couple of weeks. My vacation was going to be so long that I just didn't have enough posts to cover it, so I had to stretch to fill the space. But usually, I'm about a week ahead anyway, so it's no big deal.

Of course, I have a long ways to go to measure up to a real pro. Scrolling down Smith's blog a little further, I found this post

Yeah, I don't think I can nurse the neurosis for that long.

Speaking of neurosis...I was scrolling through my posts to verify that I'd actually been going for as long as I thought, and I found a missing day on February 9th. Dammit, not even as far along as I thought. Well, that's fine. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if you want, you could make a visit to my blog a daily habit. There should be something new to see here each time you come back.

No comments: