Sunday, June 5, 2022

Breaking The Band Up

 I went to Ross the other day, and I found this on the shelves.

Jazwares Fortnite figures sell their figures in several different unique ways. This is the vending machine, which has a figure and various accessories inside. Normally, I think it sells for around $20, but because it was at Ross, it was only $9.99.

I liked the look of the figure, X-Lord. I don't know who he is, but he made me think of the custom Daft Punk figures that Empire Toy Works sometimes puts up on his Instagram channel.

And I just got that Wade The Spiritual Rocker figure the other day, who came with two instruments. Maybe X-Lord could be in the band, playing the other instrument. So, I grabbed it, and headed to the register...then I pulled up short. The line was about a hundred yards long. It wrapped away from the registers, through the switchbacks that lead to the registers, into the aisle, and stretched back nearly to the back wall of the store.

I was stopping into the Ross by my work on my way in, because I had a couple of minutes to spare. I didn't have that many minutes to spare though. This line was going to take a half hour to get through. I had to go back to the toy section and ditch the X-Lord vending machine there. Maybe it would still be there the next day, and I could get it then.

I left extra early for work the next day, and found the vending machine still waiting for me. At least nobody had bought it out from under me in the time that had passed. However, the line was in exactly the same state. It was huge. I couldn't believe it. 

How were so many people shopping at 2:00 in the afternoon on a Wednesday? And then again on a Thursday?

I did have more than fifteen minutes before I was supposed to be at work, though, so I got in line, suspecting that it would make me a little late for work, but I wasn't coming again, even earlier the next day. I was going to tough it out.

It didn't take a half hour like I suspected, only twenty minutes. I was still late for work, but only a tiny bit, and my work aren't huge sticklers about you being exactly on time, so I was fine.

And I took X-Lord home that night and gave him a guitar to play.

I like it. It looks pretty rad. I may give him a black wash, or I may just leave him as is. I kind of like the vibrant red.

I put him next to Wade The Spiritual Rocker, but wasn't very pleased. Wade kind of sucks. But I also have my first custom figure, DJ Squid Head. He could play the keytar with X-Lord. What do you think?

It's hard to get Squid Head to grab the keytar neck though, because his hands are just superglued on. He doesn't have wrists anymore. 

Even more than the music club pictures that I see on Empire Toy Works, I'd like to make the band resemble the band that once played on the Space Mountain Stage at Disneyland back in the eighties. I saw this very interesting video on Defunctland that went into extreme, exhaustive detail about the band. Check it out if you're interested in seeing a Star Wars band that you've never heard of, called Halyx.

I guess my next acquisition needs to be a wookiee, and a bass guitar for him to play...or some completely new goofy space instrument.

No comments: