Monday, June 27, 2022

The Denizens Of Ankletown II

Before pulling down my bookshelves, I thought I would set up all the 3.75 inch figures I've gathered over the last while to check out where I was at.

I divided them up by the type of figure they were, starting with Fortnite guys.

If I'm counting correctly, that's fourteen figures (four of them are just Catbots). That's a lot, right? I probably ought to lay off buying them, and spend more time spiffying them up. Several of them could use some paint (especially those Catbots), or some drybrushing and blackwashing.

But that's not all. There's the Star Wars figures.

A lot of stuff from my two sons' collections, a bunch of figures Rish tossed my way, and some Vintage collection stuff I cot over the past few months. 

Again, I really ought to try working on improving the figures I've got instead of buying more. Blackwash and drybrushing could make them much improved. I should turn Greedo and Hammerhead into members of the Brute Squad or something. Maybe Ki-Adi-Mundi too. 

Could I kitbash a wookiee with a Halo guy? Or does it have to be even taller than that? It would look weird for a wookiee to be the same height as Walrus Man or Hammerhead, right?

There's all the Halo stuff I've got...or most of it, anyway.

Most of that stuff is going to be highly customized before it ever sees the light of day on Ankletown Station. I don't know if I want any plain old normal Spartans to be walking the streets of Ankletown. They've gotta have an alien head or something and be on the Brute Squad. Those helmets are just so recognizable, and I don't want them like that. A few might be unusual enough that I could leave them as is, and the aliens are fine, but otherwise, I want some changes made.

Then there's my customizing fodder, also known as Final Faction figures.

I probably really overdid it with these toys, except that they're only a dollar a piece, so I don't feel so bad for that. When I can get ten of them for the price of a single Halo figure, or fourteen or fifteen for the price of a Star Wars Vintage Collection figure, then having fifteen doesn't seem so bad.

I'm really excited to start building these into some fun customs though. I think I'm going to try to interest my son, who is home for the summer, in customizing them with me. He spends all day on the couch playing video games or watching YouTube, so it could only improve his well-being to do it with him, and he's seemed pretty interested in the whole Ankletown project from the start. Maybe it needs to be our project instead of my project. Ankletown Station by Big and Little Anklevich.

I have a whole bag full of plastic junk that I've been saving over the last few months, what could we turn it all into? I'm pretty sure we could get a lot of droids out of that bag combined with these final faction guys.

Okay, here's the figures from more than one random line, since I didn't have enough to make it worth a separate picture of each.

Many of these are destined for some customizing, and a lot need repaints. Almost none will fly as is. Ian Malcolm and Jack Sparrow are probably fine though. And Ravage. I don't think he needs anything...maybe a blackwash and some drybrushing. I don't know.

This is a picture of the stuff I've already customized.

A few aren't done yet, but President Government and DJ Squid Head are 100% complete. Laka Baba just needs to be re-blackwashed and re-drybrushed, because I hated how the drybrushing turned out the first time. The Final Faction alien just needs his pain touched up, and he'll be done.

What do you think of the robot that my son painted. It's the thing on the far right of the picture. He added the wires and the gun belt. The paint is a little sloppy, but I think the kid has some real potential.

Well, that's all of it, or basically all of it. There might be a thing or two that I missed, but you've seen most of it.

I think the real takeaway from this post is that I need to stop buying stuff and start customizing it and building the city, and I better do that with Little before he becomes a teenager and hates me for never spending any time with him and letting him waste his life watching YouTube videos of guys playing Minecraft and Zelda.

No comments: