Sunday, June 12, 2022

Resistance Tech Rose

 This figure was still available from Amazon.

I wasn't too surprised. The Last Jedi is a pretty hated film among a large portion of Star Wars fans, and they made their displeasure known by not buying the toys, so even these many years later there's a big surplus of the toys lying around.

Even I didn't like The Last Jedi much, though I don't lay all the ills of Star Wars at its feet like many others do. I didn't like Rogue One or The Force Awakens much either, and I can't stand the prequel films either (though I got caught up in the hype, and excused a lot of the failures of those films when they first came out).

So, if I didn't like TLJ, what am I doing buying a Rose Tico? Well, I was mostly interested in Rose Tico because of a completely different toy line. There's a company called JoyToy, which I think is out of Hong Kong, that makes elaborate, intense 3.75 inch scale action figures. They're mostly known for their mechs and drivers, like this one:

I would love to get one or two of those to include in Ankletown Station, but I highly doubt that I will. This one is on a big sale right now for $110. That's at least $80 more than I can afford at any one time.

They also have figures that don't come with mechs. Those are also super expensive though, and I'll probably never be able to bring myself to buy any of them either.

There was one set of figures that really captivated me because of how perfect they would be on a space port. These are the mech maintenance crew.

That's Team A. There is also a team B.

I think the reason I like these guys so much is that they remind me of characters like Sam Rosenberg from The Expanse. They're the engineering crew that every spaceship or space port needs. I also have to admit that I freaking love the coveralls half removed and tied around the waist that the girls have.

The fact that they put that kind of detail into a toy, a 3.75 inch toy at that, blows me away.

Sadly, these guys are as expensive as the mechs that they maintain. I could buy the set of 6 for $140. I suppose, if you do the math, it's only $23.33 per figure, which isn't that crazy of a price, but you have to pony it up all at once. I've been wasting an astonishing amount of my wife's money on action figures recently, so if I did it more selectively, I could save up for these guys, but that's probably too much to ask.

So, there's the second best thing, Resistance Tech Rose. She cost less than half what the JoyToy figures would, and she's wearing coveralls too.

I think she's a little short though. A lot of Star Wars female figures have this issue. She's almost the size of an ugnaught. Look at her with Quill.

And putting her next to a normal-sized Fortnite figure makes her look pretty small.

I guess she's crouching and the AIM bot is not, so maybe it's not quite that bad. Women are, in general, shorter than men, and Kelly Marie Tran (who plays Rose Tico) is only 5' 2" according to the internet, so maybe it's exactly right.

I complained in an old post about a Princess Leia toy that I got where they shortened the already diminutive Carrie Fisher from 5' 1" down to 4' 11" for some reason, but I don't think they did that with Rose here. She's just short, and also the scale from one figure line to another can be off.

Nonetheless, I have a figure in coveralls to make up part of my dock crew. I may see if I can't get a different head to switch her out with, to make her into an unrecognizable character instead, though. I want my place to have a Star Wars feel, not actually be a particular Star Wars place.

And who knows, maybe I'll save up and get those JoyToy figures too. Stranger things have happened.

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

You'd all be dead right now if it wasn't for my Resistance Tech Rose Tico!