Saturday, February 17, 2024

Cruising To Nassau

We left for our cruise on Monday and headed for Nassau in the Bahamas. As I showed in my earlier post, I got a little out of hand with the pictures of the city in the sunset from the top deck of the ship, but I also went around to explore the ship as we waited on the pier before we left.

This was the pool deck.

Or here it is from above.

I've never been on a cruse before, so I am unfamiliar, but from what I've heard, the pool and other stuff on this boat were small and old, and cruise ships are even more monstrously gigantic and overbuilt these days. Seems a bit much, though I guess if you're there with kids or something you might want more options.

This was a spot called the Tiger Bar that we sat down at for a moment while we were exploring. My wife decided we needed a picture while I was there.

There were a lot of spots in the ship that were supposed to be fancy and inviting for you to spend time at...a bunch of bars, anyway. They sell alcohol packages so you can drink as much as you want and pay one flat fee. Me and my wife aren't big drinkers, so we opted out of that.


Those bars were where they had a great deal of music performance, so we spent some time in them to watch those a little, but they were never that great, so we didn't stick around for too long.

We went to the theater each night and watched the shows they put on there. That was always pretty good, and a little interesting too. I wondered how the dancers managed to keep things together when the ship would sway to and fro. One of the shows was a circus performance, and there was a stunt where a guy on a unicycle had gone up onto a platform about ten feet off the ground, and was preparing to jump about six feet across to another platform that was four or five feet lower. As he was about to jump, I felt the ship lean to one side, and I couldn't help but be extra nervous. Was I about to see the conditions cause this guy to eat shit from ten feet above? Luckily, it didn't happen. He landed the stunt fine. I wonder if they specifically look for people who are prepared for movement like that. Who knows?

The ship finally got underway well after dark.

And we sailed all night long. By morning, we were already in port in Nassau.

There were a bunch of excursions you could go on to do things like parasailing and snorkeling, but they were all pretty costly, so me and my wife opted to just explore the city a little and maybe lay on the beach. The clouds were pretty thick, however, so it wasn't so certain exactly how well the day might go.

My wife wanted to sit around on the boat, and wait to go out until later. I was already bored, however, so I bugged her until she agreed to leave. We walked around the tourist areas right off the pier, checking out the shops, and the straw market. Eventually we were back by the oceanside, and looking at the beautifully light blue water, we wanted to be in it.

Of course, as you can see from the sky in the background, the weather wasn't really cooperating. You can see that I'm wearing a hoodie because of the wind and the intermittent sprinkling rain. At one point, we did get a bit of sun, and while it was looking sunny, we happened to arrive at Junkanoo beach, so we walked on down and I rolled up my pants to wade into the water.

I felt like a goofball with pants on wading in the water, but it's what I had to do. It's interesting how beautiful the beach and water can look while the sky looks so ugly.

Of course, that sun only lasted a few minutes. The next thing you know, the rain and the wind picked up, and we found ourselves running from the beach and forced back to the shopping for useless trinkets area. I did like the architecture, and took a few pictures of that.

It kind of reminded me of what I saw in New Orleans when we visited that city. My wife took this picture of me on a street next to a fancy old Anglican church. I guess we should have found a different spot than right net to the pile of garbage, though. Oops.

We looked at the church itself. I really love old churches and similar old buildings that retain that old world style of building. Modern architecture is so soulless and horrible, but this old stuff is amazing and awe-inspiring.


I took a picture inside as well, and felt like a heel, because the stupid phone played that shutter snap sound effect when the picture was taken. I'd actually made a point of turning off the sound so that it wouldn't happen, but apparently the sound was already off, and what I did was turn it on. Oops.

The stained glass window was particularly nice. It was a pretty church, for sure.

The last thing we did before going back to the ship was attending the Pirates of Nassau museum. My wife had found this while searching for what to do when we docked, and had become enamored with the idea. I wasn't too enthused, myself, but was willing to humor her. I probably shouldn't have, because look what they did to me!

That was on display in the entryway as you waited in line to buy tickets, so I figured it would be fun to get a picture. Inside, they had a bunch of exhibits with recreations of ships and scenes of pirates doing their dastardly deeds.


It's kind of funny to see the way pirates have been whitewashed over the years. These guys were horrible murdering rapists that lived short, dirty and violent lives, but now we look back on them as charming it seems. There was a fair amount of stuff dedicated to how the British managed to eradicate piracy in the Caribbean, but most of the exhibits were doing a lot more to glorify those monsters and their deeds.

Eventually, we were tired and ready to head back to the ship, so we wrapped up our visit in Nassau and called it a day. We would be stopping in one more port before heading home, but I'll leave that for the next post.

No comments: