Monday, February 12, 2024

Welcome To Miami

This past week, I was able to get away from it all and go on a vacation. It was sort of a makeup for last year, really. Last June was my 25th wedding anniversary. That's one of those years where you're supposed to do something big and special. Well, we didn't. Instead, we just did a quick trip to a little town here in Texas called Fredericksburg. It's a nice place and all, but it's not anything that you would want to commemorate such a monumental achievement as being happily married for 25 years.

So, I decided that we would have a sort of makeup anniversary this year. I set aside the money, and my wife, the travel deal expert, did her magic to find us the best value for that money. What we wound up with was a cruise to the Bahamas leaving from Miami in early February. Not our anniversary, but that didn't really matter, since it was already too late for it to be the 25th anniversary anyway.

We flew into Miami last Saturday, and stayed at an AirBNB. I stuck with my healthy carnivore diet, but my wife likes to eat whatever thing the place we are visiting is famous for, so the first thing we did was go to a local cafe and get a Cuban sandwich. After that, we went out and spent some time on the beach. We checked out Crandon Beach.

It was really nice, and we enjoyed what time we had in the sun there. Sadly, it was kind of late already, so the sun didn't last long.

We left there, and headed to a grocery store to get some food we could cook for ourselves in our AirBNB's kitchen. We picked the wrong store from Google Maps, though, because we wound up stuck in tons of traffic on our way there and on the way back. We made it, though, and only spent about $50 on our food for the whole two days we were in Miami. Another plus of not staying in a hotel.

The next day, I talked my wife into going out to Everglades National Park.

I'm a huge fan of national parks. If you're a long time reader of this blog, then you probably know that already. The Everglades is one of the big, most famous ones, so I couldn't be just a short drive away from it and not head over to enjoy it.

It was pretty nice, although it wasn't my favorite or anything. It's pretty cool, but there are many parks out west that are so much more interesting and impressive. I think you'd like the park a lot more if you were an ecologist or biologist or a botanist or something. There was some pretty cool jungly places to hike through.



A really nice lakey, pondy area full of lily pads that was my favorite.


We saw a few alligators.


And a bunch of cool birds.




All in all, it was pretty neat, but that was it for our time in Miami. The next morning, we were getting on a big boat and heading out to sea.

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

See any frogs?