Sunday, December 30, 2018

Lazy Or Controlling?

Saw these at Costco and couldn't help but remember what Rish said in our last episode about Crimes of Grindelwald about there being no book from the Fantastic Beasts series.


Who wants to read a screenplay? Aside from an aspiring screenwriter, I can't imagine anyone who would do it. It makes me wonder why there is no novelization. Is that a thing that people don't do anymore? I've got my share of novelizations of movies that I love on my shelves:


Okay, I don't love all those movies. I wonder if I should keep those prequel books, now that millennials have come of age, people are trying to say the prequels are good. Maybe I could sell those off for a profit, and I might be able to forget about that time that I got swept up in the fervor. The Terry Brooks book is signed even. Oops, I'm getting off topic.

I also have plenty of Harry Potter on my shelves:


And I'll be adding each new edition as they come out.

Do they really think people would rather read a screenplay than some journeyman writer's novelization of that screenplay? Is it lazy? The screenplay is already written, so there's nothing they need to do to it before they can release it.

Or is it J.K. Rowling being super controlling of her property. She wrote the screenplays. Does she want to make sure no one else's name appears on the spine of a Harr...er...Wizarding World book? I can't imagine that it's greed. She's got money coming out her ears. She uses bundles of $100 bills...oops, I mean £100 notes to stoke up her fireplace. So, it seems unlikely that she's grubbing for money. In fact, I think Rish said that all the proceeds are going to charity. So, why not do something worth reading? Hmmm...

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

Oh, I don't think the proceeds from these grubby cash-ins are for charity. It was the original "Magical Creatures & Where To Find Them" and "Beedle the Bard" and "Hermione Takes A Steam Bath" spin-off books that were released years ago--those were for charity.