Saturday, March 23, 2019

Antipodes

Don't know why, but I found this fascinating. I was talking with Gino, a Kiwi, on Facebook about him being as far as physically possible from my location. It was a joke, but it made me wonder just what exactly actually was as far as physically possible from my location. I searched and wound up on this website, Antipodes Map. Turns out the opposite side of the world from me is somewhere in the middle of the Indian Ocean about equidistant from Australia and Africa.


Don't know why I found it so fascinating, but I spent way too much time looking to see what is on the opposite side of the earth from all sorts of other places that I've lived, visited, and wanted to visit. It was almost always in the middle of an ocean. They do say that the earth is 70% covered in water, so that makes sense.

Gino would have a better time if he tried tunneling straight through the earth however. New Zealand is exactly opposite the Iberian Peninsula, so he'd end up in Spain...or possibly Portugal...if the super-heated magma didn't kill him on the way there. Maybe it's better to come out in the middle of the ocean. The cold water can soothe your burns for you.

No comments: