Monday, December 2, 2013

WriMo Over RuMo Just Began

So, I didn't win NaNoWriMo, because I didn't make the target word count for the month. I only wrote just over 5,000 words, when I was supposed to write 50,000. I'm not disappointed in myself though, because I did write. Sounds like one of those tee ball, we-all-win kind of cop outs, but I wrote 5,000 more words than I usually write last month, so I count it a success. I'll build on it however I can, and keep moving forward.

So, that's that for the Wrimo. I'll keep writing this month, and every month. They'll all be WriMos now.

However, I have a new challenge for myself. RuMo. Or Running Month.

You see, at the start of the year, I made a goal for myself to run 500 miles on the year. To further document that, I started taking a video of myself each day as I ran. I produced two YouTube videos of my progress towards my ultimate goal. The first when I made it to 100 miles.


The second when I made it to 250 miles.


Like writing, running is easy to slack off on. It's kind of hard and physical and exerting and all that crap. So, I've been a little slow on my final 250 miles.

And here we are with only one month left in the year, and I haven't quite made it to my goal. As of today, I have run 439 miles on the year. Which means I have 61 miles left. If my calculations are correct, the most I can possibly run in the next month is exactly 100 miles.

So, it should be easy, right?

Unfortunately, I've been having a really big problem with shin splints in the last few weeks. I've been hobbling my way through my runs, but it has been nearly unbearable. I'm going to take the next week or so off from running, to give them time to heal up. Hopefully, that will make future runs less agony-ridden. But that will take 20-25 miles off of my possible total. Meaning it will be a much closer thing.

I'm going to post after each of my runs, so you can follow my progress towards the finale of RuMo.


This picture is from Saturday. I was halfway into a five mile run, and all I wanted to do was sit down...and cry.

But I managed to finish it out, and so now my total is:

439 MILES

No comments: