Saturday, March 21, 2020

Be Like Mike

Little came down the stairs yesterday with a bag full of change in his hand. It was the money from his piggy bank. He'd found it stuffed under his bed somewhere.


"I want to go to the store, Dad. I found my money, and I want to buy a Bakugan," he said.

This didn't sound like one of those absolutely necessary trips to the store that all our elected officials have been saying we should limit our excursion to. "We're not supposed to go out, though," I said, "President Trump says not to. Governor Abbott says not to. County Judge Hidalgo says not to. Mayor Turner says not to." He didn't know who most of those people were, but I thought it would be fun to throw a bunch of names at him to add weight to the admonition.

"Keep going," he said.

"What?" I asked.

"You didn't say the best one," he said.

"The best one? What do you mean?" I asked.

"Mike," he said in a tone that would have been used to say, "duh," normally, as if I should have know that. I didn't know what he meant.

"Mike?"

"Yeah," he said, "you know. Mike will get it done."

Then I finally realized what he meant.


He watches a lot of YouTube videos, and a few weeks ago when Mike Bloomberg was still in the race for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination and was spending his 500 million dollars on advertising, you couldn't watch a YouTube video without getting a Bloomberg ad before and after your video, and if it was long enough, in the middle as well.

Bloomberg may not have managed to make enough headway with voters to survive long past Super Tuesday, but at least he earned the vote of one eight-year-old boy. I may need to start policing what he watches on YouTube a little more closely.

1 comment:

Dave the loud said...

I was thinking Mikey won't eat it he hates everything.