Sunday, March 22, 2020

Marching Toward A Sweep


The stores are pillaged, and the news keeps getting worse and worse. For me, that means that I work extra. All of our news shows have expanded as much as possible. The thirst for news seems to have grown significantly in the last few weeks. I can't complain too much, though, because I still have a job. So many others out there can't say the same.

I am not one of those people that gets to work from home, however. The way our computer system is designed, someone has to be here to put the video clips online so they can play out on air. The only way I'll get out of going in to work each day is if I actually catch the virus, and I ain't trying to catch no virus.

For the most part, these developments have meant that I can't get a lot of writing done during my lunch break, because there is a show happening during my lunch break these days. I do still get some words in each day, but more often than not, I am also writing at home when I arrive after work...which is already a half hour later than usual. The one good thing for me about all of this is that the traffic on the roads is much lighter than usual, so now I spend less time in the car spitting and swearing.

So, my goal of getting my writing done earlier in the day has not been achieved yet. Some days I get my writing done before coming home late at night, but not many. I have, however, still managed my 1,000 words each and every day of March. Here's what my chart looks like as of today:


So, I am at 24,654 words for the month. Here's my progress meter to show you how my progress towards my goal of beating last month's total words is coming.

24654 / 33604 (73.37%)

I am at 73 percent, which is good. 22 is 70% of 31, so I'm doing just fine. I'll pretty certainly make it. At this point the only way I won't beat last month is if I skip a day, and that's not happening.

Speaking of that, I have now surpassed my personal record for days in a row writing. Back in 2017, I wrote 62 days in a row before moving to Texas derailed that progress. In 2019, my best streak was only 27 days in a row. Today, I am at 63 days in a row, and unlikely to miss a day anytime soon. It may take a conronavirus infection to stop me now...though, considering that my station sends reporters out day in and day out to cover the story, it's probably only a matter of time before one of them brings it back to the station with them. So maybe I don't have that long after all, but I'm not going to dwell on that.

I'm just going to dwell on the fact that I'm a record-breaking writer who just finished his second novel, and is cruising toward achieving his goal of 300,000 words this year. I'm 117,334 words along my way. Here's my year-to-date chart. As promised, I broke it into two pieces so you can actually see it (if you want, which I can't imagine you would).



Okay, everyone. Thanks for reading, like, comment, subscribe, and I'll see you next time here on the Big Anklevich weekly writing update.

No comments: