Monday, September 28, 2020

Day 14 (75 Hard)

Got up and got on the trails this morning.


 Here's my log for today:

It was Monday, which means the second day of yoga in a row. I don't know what it is about yoga, but it's nowhere near as pleasurable as walking in the trees. I know I need it, probably way more than the walking, but I just don't like it. 

One way or another, it's really uncomfortable. Sometimes the stretches are really painful, other times they put me in a position where I have to support my body weight with just my shoulders or just my quadriceps for a long time, and I can't hold it for that long.

My wife was surprised to find that I was sweating while doing yoga yesterday. Apparently it's not supposed to be that hard. I guess that just goes to show how horribly out of shape I have become or something.

I am going to stick with it regardless. I really need to, and I'm sure that eventually it will get better. I will strengthen and stretch my muscles to the point that my regular yoga isn't too hard, that I can do it without even trying, and I need something even more challenging. That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it.

The beginning of any workout routine is always the hardest, and it eventually gets better. 

And there's a reason that Andy Frisella guy called it #75Hard and not #75NotThatBad or #75Easy. What's the point of doing it if it isn't even hard? Will I gain something from doing the easy stuff? 

I've done the easy stuff all my life. It's why I'm in the situation that I'm in. I didn't blog about my 75 days straight of not working out, #75Couch. Nobody blogs about walking up a little hill, but they always blog if they've climbed to the top of a mountain.

#75Hard is a mental exercise, despite the fact that everything I do is physical in nature. The physical stuff is hard, the mental exercise is sticking with it, despite the desire to quit. After you succeed, you know that you can do something if you put your mind to it. 

I used to hear about helicopter parents, the ones that hover around their child and keep a constant watch over them, but these days I hear instead of bulldozer parents, that go in and clear all of the obstacles out of the way of their children, so they never have to face challenges. It's even worse than being constantly watched by the helicopter in case they need to step in to help, now there's no challenges at all.

So, facing a challenge is the key to this whole thing. I gotta keep doing that yoga, no matter how much I'd rather not. Then I'll have the toughness that I can parlay into all the other areas of my life as well.

Tomorrow is my two week weigh in. We'll see how that goes. It won't be as big as last week's fourteen pounds, but I'm pretty sure it'll still be quite respectable. Of course, my usual disclaimer is that weight isn't what matters. Health and fat loss is what matters, and weight is only a small indication of that overall goal.

No comments: