Thursday, July 27, 2023

Dud of the Galaxy

I've been collecting the four-inch scale Guardians of the Galaxy figures to put on my four-inch scale space station that I've been planning on creating. I got the set with Cosmo and Groot (and baby Rocket). And another time, I got the Star-Lord, Drax, and Mantis figures. 

The one available figure that I hadn't purchased was Rocket Raccoon. The only way you could pick him up was if you bought the Bowie, the Guardian's spaceship. They wanted $35 for that thing, and it looked crappy, so I wasn't going to bother. If I ever saw it on a good enough sale though...

And I expected it to get to that sale, because I didn't think anybody would buy it. I was right. I saw it go to half off a week ago, but that was still $18, so I waited some more. Then it dropped all the way down to $10.50

And that's about what I paid for the single figures when they were full price, so I decided to go for it.

The Rocket figure is pretty good. I can't complain. It's as if I paid regular price for a figure I wanted.

Now, I've got them all, and they'll look great on my space station...when I make it.

The ship itself is as crappy as I thought it was.

It's not a very good design for a spaceship to  begin with. It looks very strange, but then they tried to make it into a toy with a play feature, and turned it to complete garbage. The middle part...the main cabin of the ship...detaches and can fly free of the rest of the ship.

But it's tiny. That main cabin part of the ship is only big enough to fit one four-inch scale figure. And it fits them like a coffin, not like a cockpit. They have to lay down on their backs inside. I guess it could work as an escape pod or something, but certainly not as the main cabin for a giant spaceship that is supposed to house the entirety of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I was thinking that maybe I could use the ship in my 1/72 scale space station, but it's not good enough for that. The ship isn't even complete. It's not even hollow, it's doesn't have a back. It's like a facade.

Which might work in an old western movie, since you won't see the back side of the facade, but you can see the missing parts of this ship from any angle.

Such crap. I can't believe that any self-respecting toy company would put out such garbage, let alone the biggest toy company in the world. All I can say is that I hope they lost a ton of money trying to sell such a turd to the buying public. Screw this crap. At least I got it for 75% off. I probably should have waited until they dropped the price to 90% though.

What I suspect that I will do with this turd is cut it up and use it to create some of the facades of Ankletown since that's all they gave us was a facade anyway. It could work all right for something like that. The main cabin thing may survive as an escape pod or something. I saw that Empire Toy Works did that with his. I'll probably copy his example.

No comments: