Sunday, February 16, 2020

February Sweeps, Day 16


Still trying to make it a clean sweep in February. Talked with Rish a bit this afternoon. He still calls me all the time to remind me to write. Thoughtful guy, eh? I wrote 1,062 words today, but they were uninspired.

I feel like I need more brainstorming on both of my books I'm working on. I've been writing out into the dark for a little while with Sunny & Gray. I know in general terms where I'm going, but the specifics aren't there, so I have to struggle to make it up as I go. That can be daunting and a little taxing as well. It was Sunny & Gray that I wrote my words on today. I didn't want to get too separated from it. I think I need to go back and forth between one story and the other so that neither one fades too far out of my memory.

I'll probably write on Still They Ride (Lazerfist version) tomorrow. I think I need to keep them both fresh, so I'll probably do one day on and one day off with each. What I most need to do is turn on my recorder, and talk the stories through in my car on the way to work tomorrow. I'm much more of a planner and less of a pantser, and I'm afraid it may cause my works to be suffering because I'm doing it this way.

I think it was Dean Wesley Smith who said I have to give myself permission to suck, because if everything has to be wonderful all the time, you'll never write from the fear of that idea. If you never write, then you'll never improve. I want Sunny & Gray to already be good though. And everything else that I write as well. I hate the idea that these books I'm writing might be something that I'll just want to throw away when I'm done, be too embarrassed about to show to anyone. Of course, on the other side of the coin is that I might be too fond of them, show them to everybody, and they think they suck and never want to read my writing again. It's enough to make a guy completely lock up and just give up and play video games as a hobby instead. Life would be much easier then, wouldn't it?

Anyway, my picometer is at:


EDIT:
New progress meter.
18383 / 30000 (61.28%)

61% of my goal. Does it matter if the words aren't good? Crap, I gotta develop some confidence back or I won't want to keep at it for much longer. Anybody want to read a book of mine, and give me some feedback? Sunny & Gray Part 1 for free?

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

I hear you on being afraid that all this work will be for nothing. In my writing, there are things that I'm confident I'm good at, and things that I'm pretty sure I can't do, so I shy away from them. But I have to try writing those things, or I'll always be weak at them (I'm thinking of the story I wrote this month about two senior citizens falling in love, and yesterday I started on my first girl-with-female-love-interest story). Guess we're both giving ourselves permission to suck.

As far as "Sunny & Gray" goes, no, I can't offer to read it for you right now (not with all this junk on my plate), but I will read "Still They Ride 1.0" tonight. Hope that helps a little.