Saturday, February 22, 2020

February Sweeps, Day 21


I've been reading blog posts and listening to YouTube videos about writing, what makes good writing, and what the myths about writing are out there. I spend a lot of my time doing a job that doesn't actually require my full mental energy. I can edit news without concentrating on it fully for most of the time, so I always have something playing in my ears. I've learned a lot of things by way of this over the past years. It's one of the main reason I'm not such a obese fella anymore.


I learned everything I know about the ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting, and the carnivore diet from the hundreds of hours of lectures I've listened to that people posted on YouTube. I almost feel like an expert on the subject now. I also spent a great deal of time watching toy collecting videos on YouTube, and even started my own toy collecting channel because of that. I feel like I gained a great deal of knowledge in that area as well. If I was able to do that for those subjects, why couldn't I get a bunch of knowledge about writing the same way? Seems plausible.

When I mentioned what I was doing, Rish was pretty interested. He wanted to talk with me about the things that I learn. He even suggested that maybe we do shows about it, where I present my findings, and then discuss it. We could even make goals to practice what we learned in a story that we write, and then come back with a follow-up show that shares the story, talks about how the practice went, and decides how important the lesson actually turned out to be. I think I'd like that a lot. What about you? Interested in a podcast like that?

As far as actual writing went, I drug my feet again, and didn't finish until 1:30 AM again, but in the end I wrote 1,145 words. Still flawless for the month.

My picometer says:


EDIT:
New progress meter.
24104 / 30000 (80.35%)

Now I'm at 80% of my goal. That's a nice round number. Feels pretty good to make it this far.

3 comments:

Rob Broughton said...

I'm a big enough dorky fan that I'd listen to anything you guys do together, even if it was just a podcast about how much you hate cats, or you taunting Rish with awful millennial girl baby names for two hours weekly. Luckily, you seem to have a way better idea than either of those. I'd really like to hear you two try out something like this! Even if it only ends up being two or three times on TGMG as a trial run, I'm hoping you'll give it a shot.

Rish Outfield said...

Thank the severed head of Walt Disney for Rob Broughton, huh?

He'll keep us going when our muses are hungover in their hotel rooms with the doors locked.

Big Anklevich said...

Actually, you've convinced me to scrap that idea and go with a show where I taunt Rish with millennial girl baby names instead. Thanks for that idea!