Friday, February 21, 2020

February Sweeps, Day 20


I'm afraid that I'm starting to get sick of writing a thousand words every day. When I made a push to write every day back in 2017, I made it just over three months before calling it quits. Then when I tried it again last year at Rish's behest, I made it two and a half months before calling it quits again.

I'm at three and a half months again. And I'm starting to chafe with the whole thing. Am I going to fall apart again? I can't let that happen. I have to struggle onward. Maybe I gotta change some habits so that writing will feel more appealing. Finishing my writing super late, and not getting enough sleep each night certainly can't help. Also, I think I need to make use of my drive time to get my stories planned better than I have been.

I can't let this fall apart. I really love the satisfaction that I get from writing so much, and the feeling of competence as well. For once in my life, I really feel like I can honestly call myself a writer. After all, I do it every day.

I struggled to get my writing in, but at 1:00 AM, I hit 1,000, and then I felt like I needed to write a little more before I called it quits, because it would be hard to pick up tomorrow if I stopped where I was. So, when I finally finished I was at 1,375 words. Turned out to be a pretty good total. One of my higher ones.

My picometer says:



EDIT:
New progress meter.
22959 / 30000 (76.53%)

Now I'm at 76% of my goal. Three quarters of the way there. That feels like a milestone I should celebrate. I guess I'll give myself a high five. I may be feeling fatigue with this whole thing, but I ain't quitting. I'm going to make it to my 30,000 words for this month, and then I'll start in on another 30,000 for next month. Go team!

2 comments:

Rob Broughton said...

I totally sympathize with running out of steam on these sorts of ventures. Usually I don't make it three months; I'll have one really great month and then, poof, sudden total ecosystem collapse. The hardest part always seems to be actually putting the writing document in front of my face with music playing, because once I do that, and re-read a little of what I read the previous day, I'm usually dragged along for the ride.

As long as it's not 1 in the morning. Then it's like pulling teeth. So, yeah, try to change up your schedule. Waking up earlier and morning writing? I know that having kids throws a wrench into stuff, but is there a specific time of each afternoon/evening that you could be like, "Okay, now daddy is going to write for an hour, and if any of you interrupt me, I'll insert you into my story. And you know what happens to children in B.D. Anklevich stories..."

I hope you can find that momentum and keep going. I'm really rooting for you! Oh, and carefully consider before increasing your daily goals in a future month. If I were in your shoes, already feeling weary of writing, upping the quota to 1250 would break my back.

Big Anklevich said...

"Okay, now daddy is going to write for an hour, and if any of you interrupt me, I'll insert you into my story. And you know what happens to children in B.D. Anklevich stories..."

Hilarious, sir. It's such a cliche now that I can threaten children with it.