Saturday, April 30, 2022

Crowdsource

I complain frequently about the problems caused by overuse of smart phones in our lives. Like this post from a few months ago making fun of all the people filming the concert they were attending instead of watching and experiencing it.

Sometimes, however, they create miracles that couldn't exist in times of yore. Like in yesterday's post, where I talked about how my phone ran out of battery power right in the middle of me filming the one song from the Death Cab For Cutie concert we were at, so I wasn't going to have that to look back on. 

Turns out that's not a big deal anymore. In less than a day, my daughter found someone who posted a full version of the song on YouTube.

Not only that, but this person posted a video of 20 out of the 21 songs that Death Cab played for us, from the opening jam:

To the final encore:

And everything in between (minus one. Surprising that they missed that one).

I have to say that it is pretty amazing to have the opportunity to re-watch the concert that we went to the other day. This was only the second concert ever that my daughter attended, but she'll never forget it, because I downloaded all of those videos off YouTube and put them in a folder to save. So, even if they get removed from the platform, we'll still be able to pull them up and watch them again. 

My daughter will be able to show them to her daughter when she regales her with the tales of her adventurous youth. I've told my daughter about the concerts I went to in years past, but the best I've been able to impress her with were the ticket stubs.

Imagine how awesome it would be to have a complete video recording (with really great audio too, I'm impressed) of entire concerts you attended when younger. If I could watch a recording like that of my first Metallica show that I went to back on September 16, 1989 at the Cal Expo Amphitheater...

...I don't even know what the reaction would be, but it would be something very special. Then again, maybe I only feel that way because I don't have it. Hopefully that's not true, and my daughter will really appreciate it, and look back on it with fondness each time she watches it again over the years.

I don't know. All I know is that I think it's really cool.

No comments: