Thursday, April 7, 2022

Oh, Walgreens...

I haven't gone to a Walgreens in a really long time. I stopped bothering, because they basically never get any new toys, and I think that's because they never clear out the old stuff that hasn't sold. Every time I would pay any Walgreens a visit, it would be a waste of my time.

However, I happened to be right next to a Walgreens today. It was next to a store that I was already going to anyways. So, I decided I would give it a shot. I went inside, and guess what I found.

In case you don't know what you're looking at, that is a General Leia figure from The Force Awakens and Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor figures from Rogue One. The Force Awakens came out in 2015 and Rogue One in 2016.

It's 2022. April of 2022, so we're a full 1/4 of the way through the year, and Walgreens still has these figures from six and seven years ago on their shelves!

Everywhere else has marked those figures down and sold them off. They were either way overproduced or wildly unpopular, because they got marked down to the most bargain-basement prices I've ever seen. You could easily find them at the discount stores like Ross and even Five Below selling for $5 or less...four years ago. I think I even saw the General Leia figure selling at Ross for $2 one time. They would do anything to finally get those things off their shelf.

Yet here is Walgreens with them still wasting space, and still asking full price for them. $23 for any one of these figures is absolutely insane. Only at Walgreens could something like this happen. I guess I was right to never bother to stop in to see what they've got.

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

Embarrassingly enough, I passed on General Leia when Ross had her for $2.99. I'd probably pay $7.99 for her today . . . but nowhere near $22.99.