Saturday, August 20, 2022

Not Quite Another Third

I've been doing updates on my writing progress about every ten days. Giving an update as I completed one third of the month. The last one I posted on the 11th, entailing the first ten days of August.

Yesterday was the 19th of August, so my next update should come tomorrow. But Rish thought I actually ought to do it today. Because, if you add up the 31 days of July and the 19 so far in August, then I have been writing for 50 days straight.

That kind of seems like a big deal, right? How has it been going? I feel like it's been going pretty darn good. Here's my chart for the the last two months.


So, in my first fifty days, I have written 31,940 words. That's an average of 638 words a day. That seems pretty good, considering that first month there were a lot of days down in the three hundreds, and relatively few above 1,000. 

I did an average for July. That month I was getting about 565 words a day. So far in August, my average is 757. That's pretty impressive, considering that only ten...well actually nine...days ago, my average for August was only 660. In the last nine days, I've brought it up almost a full 100 words a day.

Of course, that's important, because in that last writing update post, I made the goal of reaching 25,000 words for August, even though my daily goal should only require me to get to 15,500. I wanted to push it. Was it wise? I don't know, but I did it anyway.

So, at nineteen days in August, I'm at 14,400 words. I have twelve days left to get 10,600 words. That's almost an average of 1,000 words a day I'd have to write...though it's actually only 834 if you do the math. That's still a lot, but it's what I need to do. Starting in September, my goal will rise to 1,000 words a day, so I might as well get ready to deal with it.

So, what does my progress bar look like at this point in the month?

14400 / 25000 (57.60%)

I'm only at 57.6%. I've really got to step it up these last twelve days to make it to 25,000. But I can do it. I know I can. What about my overall goal, my yearly goal?

31940 / 304475 (10.49%)

It doesn't look nearly as pitiful as it did in some of those early blog posts that I made. 10.49% isn't a huge number, but at least it shows up on the progress bar as a line of more than one pixel width.

All in all, I'm pretty excited. I'm full of beans about this whole process. I've been writing on my new novel, which I am presently calling, "A Fire in the Center of a Million Universes." Can't decide if I'll keep that...it's kinda long.

All 31,940 words I've written so far go to that novel. I'm expecting it to be around 90,000 words when it's done, so that means I'm a third of the way through. In terms of pages in a book, to help you understand where I'm at, 31,940 should equal about 128 pages. We're just about to find out what's really going on, and get started on our quest. I wrote the end of chapter 6 last night.

So, that's what's going on. 50 days. 30,000 words. 130 pages. It's all going pretty good. Can't wait to share it with y'all when it's done.

No comments: