Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Podcasting Future

No, we didn't get together like this, this is an old picture from my visit in 2019

Last night, Rish and I got together (well, virtually got together) and recorded a segment for his Rish Outcast. It's the third week in a row that we've done this now. Is that weird? Or is it an indication of what's to come?

We haven't done much in the way of podcasting for years, which led me to decide that we really needed to give the Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine its proper finish, instead of letting it fade away and be forgotten. 

I came up with a new way to try to keep things going with the Anklecast, and started working towards that. And we finally, after talking about it on and off for years, recorded the final story and the final show.

Putting in the work to complete those shows felt so good, not because I was killing off the Dunesteef, quite the contrary. The whole time I worked on editing, I felt like I was mourning. It felt like putting together a tribute video to play at the funeral of a dear friend or something. 

But it felt good to do the work of a podcast. It had been a long time since I'd edited a story, added lines from various voice actors, put in music, sound effects, and scary drone. It was a blast from the past, and so very fun.

Getting together with Rish (virtually) was wonderful too. It felt like the old days, where we would meet once a week and podcast whether we wanted to or not.

So, even though the Dunesteef is over, and there won't be anything more, it weirdly feels like it's never been more alive. 

Rish and I both have our respective shows, the Outcast and the Anklecast, where you can find us podcasting at. He's already up and going, getting shows out at a pretty good pace. My first Anklecast is coming at the start of September. 

And the both of us are getting back into the habit of podcasting together. He's going to be on every one of my shows, and it looks like he's making a little room for me to be on his show as well. So, maybe, even though the Dunesteef is gone, what you've really gotten is two Dunesteefs in place of the one.

That's pretty cool if you ask me.

No comments: