Monday, August 8, 2022

Products That Shouldn't Exist

I was at Costco and I saw a few things that kind of made me fear for the future of the world. I know that life is hard, and generally I would say that anything that makes it easier is a positive, but there's a limit, because life isn't that hard. It really seems like we might be on the fast track to being the lazy slugs from the movie Wall-E.

Doing hard things makes you more capable, being more capable makes you better able to deal with the hard things of life, and being completely incapable means your life, no matter how easy, will be hard.

So, when I saw these things, I couldn't help but think, "why do they even exist." Like this:

Those aren't burger patties that  you warm up. Those are burgers with cheese on them, and also already on a bun. I guess it's fast food for your microwave. Is it really so hard to put a hamburger onto a bun yourself that we needed a product like this? I wonder if it sells. At least one box was bought.

Much worse was when I saw these, though.

Is there any meal more basic than a toasted cheese sandwich? That was probably the very first thing that I ever learned how to cook myself when I was a kid. Do we want to rob kids of that first step toward adulthood by giving them pre-made cheese sandwiches that they just stick in the toaster...and also what is going to happen to your toaster with all that cheese melting and dripping down into the bottom? Get ready to buy a new toaster.

These are both products that just plain should exist. Of course, they do because of what our society has become. That's the way business works, people provide a product that they think the world wants. If they do, they're successful, if they don't, the business dries up and blows away.

Let's all make sure that these products dry up and blow away, because jeez. I'm going to make sure my son knows how to make his own toasted cheese sandwich right now, and make sure he knows to never use American cheese on one as well.

No comments: