Thursday, March 14, 2024

Dismissed

When I went to Target the other day, I was hoping to find some Star Wars Vintage Collection figures that I had heard were being clearanced. I went to the Disney Store area of the toy section, and was surprised to find that they had reorganized the place. The Star Wars section looked different. Here it is:

Yeah, that used to be filled with spaceships and action figures, but they're all gone now. I walked the rest of the toy section looking for where Star Wars had been relocated, but it was totally gone. 

Who knows, maybe they were only halfway done with the reset, and Star Wars will reappear in a new section in Target, but this seemed a little shocking to me. Star Wars has fallen on hard times since Disney bought it up. There's been a rebellion not in its universe but among its fans. Many aren't happy with the direction the franchise has been taken in. 

Some claim that it's just a vocal minority who are complaining, and that could be true, but this may well be evidence to the contrary. If Star Wars has lost its place to a shelf full of stuffed animals and doesn't pop up somewhere else more appropriate, then I'd say it's a known fact that they're not just a vocal minority.

We'll see. All I know is that it makes me sad. I did find the figures that were supposed to be on clearance, but they were still too expensive. Maybe next week they'll get marked down to the next level and I'll grab one then. I like the aesthetic of Star Wars, and I like buying toys from Star Wars to put in my planned future space station. It would be a bummer if the toys faded away into obscurity and couldn't be purchased anymore.

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

You sure they didn't just reorganize the mini-Disney Store? The one in AF did so two weeks back, and they still have a Star Wars section, but it's been stuck in the back, where no respectable Target customer would ever think to go.