Friday, March 1, 2024

February Comes To An End

Okay, it hasn't been ten days since the last update, but it's February. You don't get that many. Hell, we got an extra day this year, so that's pretty special.

The month has ended again, and it's time to talk about how the writing is going. First of all, how did the month go? Did I make my goal? Well, here's my chart.

I did better than last month in some ways. For example, I hit my goal of 1,250 every single day without fail. I didn't manage that last month. I missed it twice. Last month, I got more total words, but last month also had two extra days. If I had two more days, I could possibly beat last month's record total. As it is, I hit my goal for this month, which was 36,250. Behold my meter!

38561 / 36250 (106.38%)

Yeah, check out that overflow as the bar on the graph just explodes right out the end! 106%.

Now that's not all. I had more goals to achieve this month. I wasn't supposed to just write 1,250 words a day. I mean, that was my goal for January. I'd already bested that. No, I upped it this month. I was supposed to write 1,250 words a day and publish one story on Amazon every week...resulting in a total of four stories. So, let's see what I managed with that.

On February 20th, I finally published my first story. In fact, I published two. I put The Tenth Album up for sale, which ran on the Dunesteef years ago, as well as a story you've never read called Euthanasia, which was one of the many Broken Mirror stories that Rish and I did. Then on February 22nd, I published Karma Is My Boyfriend on Amazon, a few days ahead of the second half of the podcast running on my Patreon. 

I was on the verge of hitting my goal. I just needed one more. So, I published my story called Stalled, which ran way back as one of the very first episodes of the Dunesteef. I did it. I hit my goal of a story for every week.

But wait, I wasn't done. On February 28th, what is usually the last day of February, I published The Battle of the Ideas on Amazon. That one ran on the Dunesteef way back when as well. I suppose a lot of my stories have run on the Dunesteef, haven't they. Soon, that'll be the case for the Anklecast instead, since I run a story once a month over there. So, I got five stories and crushed my goal.

But wait, it was leap year, and I had another day to go. Why not overachieve? So, this morning, I published Prime Shipping, the story I ran on the Anklecast back in February.

So, here's my meter for publishing:

6 / 4 (150.00%)

Woah, that one sticks way out there, since I got 150% of what I set out to do.

That's pretty great. So, where are we at on my year long goal? Here's the year-to-date chart.


My total word count for the year has reached 144,829. I'm just a smidgeon short of halfway to the goal, and of course I'm miles ahead of the pace that I'd need to be at to achieve it. It's been 125 days since I started this. However, we are only 34% of the way into the year. Barring some sort of tragedy, I'm gonna crush this measly goal I set for myself.

144829 / 304475 (47.57%)

My average word count for this month was almost identical to last month. I was 2.8 words shy of surpassing that. I think that will have to be my goal for this month. I have to take it up a notch every time, right? So, how about my goal is to beat my record high word count month of January 2024. Let's see if I can't get an average of 1,333 words per day in March. We've got 31 days, the same as January, so it should be do-able to outdistance that total.

But wait, that's not all. I can't skip out on publishing as well. I did six stories in February. I still have many more to go, so I think I'll up that total. I'm going to get at least eight stories published on Amazon in March, although that should be pretty easy. I should give myself a harder goal to hit along with the record high word count and publishing.

I've got it. I'm almost done narrating all the stories for my first collection that I published a while back. I can set having that published on Audible as my final goal: get the audiobook of Christmas Creatures published. That should be interesting, because I don't even have an account on Audible, so it will there will be a learning curve to get that goal accomplished. I'm excited about that one.

Okay, we've come to an end, and set the bar a little higher. Can I manage to pole vault over the top of that towering thing? We'll see. I will definitely push myself as hard as I can to make it there. Hopefully, I don't burn myself out with all of this. I'm sure it'll be fine.

No comments: