Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Starship Troopers

I talked about my aspirations to build a large force of Stormtroopers from the Star Wars Vintage Collection that I could use on Ankletown Station in previous posts. I found four of them at Ross at a really good price, but up until now, that was all I had managed to assemble. I did find some Artillery Stormtroopers (who are an invention of the Mandalorian TV show) at Ross as well. I grabbed them, because I figured they could be commanders or something like that.

Well, today I found something completely new. There's a new line of Star Wars figures out right now. They are like the classic five points of articulation figures that have long been the staple of Star Wars collecting. These are in the Epic Hero line that Hasbro is doing with Marvel and now Star Wars. The Marvel figures get elbows and knees, however.

I've seen these figures a few times, and hadn't really been interested. The selection of characters didn't interest me, but today I was looking in those little bins in Walmart where they put toys you might possibly want to put in your kid's Easter basket, and I saw the Stormtroopers for the first time.


I probably shouldn't have gotten these guys, because they're inferior to the ones that I already have, considering their limited range of movement. On top of that, they were $10 a piece. That's not a huge price, but it is $4 more than what I paid for the nice Vintage Collection figures that I got.

I controlled myself and only bought two of them. There were four, and I was on the verge of blowing $40 on stormtroopers. I managed a modicum of self-control. I should pat myself on the back for that, right?

They look pretty good. They would look even better if they got a black wash on them. The limited posing capability means that I can't get too many of them, though. It doesn't look too weird if one of two stormtroopers in the group are standing there in a really basic pose, but it would look weird if they all were. So, I suppose it's a good thing that I only got two...although you know that I will eventually go back and buy the other two if they're still there. It's a sickness.

Sometime soon, I'll have to get all my stormtroopers out of their bin and set them up for a picture. That would be fun.

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

I've never seen the Stormtroopers in this new line. I don't know if I would buy them myself (I've thusfar avoided picking up any), but Stormtroopers are hard to resist.