Sunday, March 24, 2024

Yak Face

When I was a kid, there was a Star Wars guy named Yak Face. Later, they gave the guy a real name, and it is Saelt-Marae, but I will always call him Yak Face.

He's one of the most valuable of the original figures, because he was from the last wave of figures that barely saw any time on the store shelves before the line was canceled and pulled out because of lack of sales. Star Wars had run its course...in the 80s. They would obviously be back.

Now, in the 20s, they've got a new Saelt-Marae, and I found myself one at Ross the other day.

I buy every alien Vintage Collection figure I come across, but I have to admit that Yak Face isn't really one of my favorites. He doesn't look like a Star Wars alien to me. Instead, he looks like he belongs on a movie like The Dark Crystal or one of those other Jim Henson movies with characters that have crazy exaggerated feautures like that gigantic nose and mustache.

That's him in Return of the Jedi, though, so he's real. Doesn't mean he has to be my favorite. He'll be fine with the other aliens on Ankletown Station, though.

No comments: