Monday, June 12, 2023

Epic Heroes

Just in time for the Guardians of the Galaxy 3 movie, Hasbro has started a new 4-inch scale action figure line that they are calling Epic Heroes. It's kind of a weird line, because they don't keep it all together in one place on the toy aisle. Instead, they put it all over the place. 

They put out a wave of Spider-man guys, for example, and the only place I saw them was on an end cap of all Spider-man related stuff of all different scales from 6-inch to 12-inch and everywhere in between. They have more of the 4-inch guys in a line they call MechStrike, and they put those in another different spot.

Because they come with the dinosaur sidekick that then becomes their extra armor they want $24 or so for each one. I want a 4-inch Iron Man for the Ankletown space station, because I think his armor and high-tech style would fit in perfect, but I'm not gonna pay that much for a 4-inch figure no matter what. I'm pretty certain that these things will go on clearance and/or show up at Ross some day, so that's when I mean to pick him up. The others available in the MechStrike line are Hulk, Captain America, and Black Panther. I don't think they fit in the Ankletown style, so I probably won't be getting them ever.

The one set of figures I will get, and all of them, is the one that I mentioned at the top of the post. The Guardians of the Galaxy. There's no Marvel property that fits in Ankletown better, and I'm pretty stoked to have the opportunity to add them to the citizenry.

I started with Star-Lord. I made a deal with myself that if I ate properly for a certain time, then I would be allowed to buy one member of the squad each week.

Star-Lord looks pretty darn good. I'm going to augment him a little with some washes to give him a bit of weathering before we put him into the non-existent space station, but he's gonna look really good. After a few weeks:

There are only a few figures available in solo packaging. These three are among them, and you can also get a Groot. However, there's a Target exclusive box set that includes Groot, Cosmo, and a baby Rocket Raccoon figure (slug). Instead of buying Groot individually, I'm gonna get that 3-pack...or more appropriately named, it's a 2 1/2 pack.

Sadly, up until now at least, the only way to get Rocket is to buy the Bowie spaceship, which is a total piece of crap that I don't really want. 

However, I do expect that it will get put on clearance as well, so maybe I'll be able to add Rocket to the space station population in the end. I got a good feeling about this.

No comments: