Saturday, June 17, 2023

Nice Thing That's Not Too Expensive

My first purchase as an adult toy collector was a Star Wars dewback with a sandtrooper riding on its back.

I couldn't say why, but I've always loved the idea of people riding horseback-style on creatures that definitely are not horses. I love tauntauns too. Dragons, I love. Hell, I even thought blurgs were cool...wait, is it not blurgs? Oh, excuse me, it's blurrgs. Welcome to Kashyyyk everybody, enjoy your stay!

In fact, to take it further, I loved the game Joust because the knights were riding on ostriches. What a great image!

So, a few years ago, when Rish Outfield made me a specially hand-painted winter-colored dinosaur as a Christmas present, I automatically thought I should put a figure on its back to complete the look.

Jurassic park toys, like that one, are big business these days. They're constantly churning out new dinosaurs that you can buy, so they also often go on clearance or wind up at Ross. The other day, I was at Ross and they had this guy for $7.

I can't remember what the name of the thing was, some kind of technical scientific terminology, but it's basically a T-Rex clone or descendant or possibly ancestor. Oh, wait, I took a picture of it at the store to send to Rish.

Skorpiovenator...dinosaur names are funny.

Anyway, that was a good price, and I thought it would be fun to bring it home, make a saddle for it, and have it be a kind of unconventional beast of burden that the denizens of Ankletown station ride around for their conveyance. Like this:

To me, it hearkens back to that first picture of the Stormtrooper riding the dewback. Seems so weird that in a futuristic society they'd be riding animals around still, but it also seems so cool to see a guy in space armor sitting on a giant lizard. I think I may need to get me some more dinosaurs.

No comments: