Wednesday, June 14, 2023

First

Ever seen when some big deal YouTuber posts a new video and doophuses get on there and post, "First!" in the comment section? They don't have anything to say, nothing worthwhile to add, they just want to congratulate themselves for being the first person to respond to the alert that told them there was a new video. Being first isn't always a good thing, therefore. Nobody gives out a medal to the guy who was first to shit his pants or something.

I don't think that's quite the case with this post though...but kind of. Today, the first of all the sunflowers we planted bloomed!

It's pretty excited to see we finally got one. So far, here in Houston, the only sunflowers we've ever grown came from the birds knocking sunflower seeds in the birdfeeder on the ground and causing some to sprout. Every time we plant them ourselves, the die off before they ever reach adulthood, so this is pretty monumental.

This first flower isn't anything special, however. Like the dumb commenters, there's not much to this flower. It's really little. I'm excited, like the dumb commenters are, that it's the first one, but really I am excited for the even better things to come...like with the comments. I probably should never have bothered to type up so much about that dumb metaphor. Forget all the crap I said about dumb first commenters.

Anyway, I'm a freak for sunflowers. I love them. I think it's the massive size that they grow to that excites me. One time we had a flower that was waaay bigger than my head. I don't suspect that we'll get anything like that this year, expecially considering how late in the year our flowers are blooming versus the other sunflowers I've seen in our neighborhood. One thing I am excited about is harvesting the seeds to plant a new crop of the flowers next year. My wife may have to fight for space for any stupid vegetables she wants to grow.

No comments: