Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Good Stuff Cheap

I was watching a toy collecting video the last week that was talking about what they were seeing at Ollie's Bargain Outlet. These kind of videos drop here and there, to the point that Rish Outfield pines over the fact that there are no Ollie's in his area. I have some in my area, but none of them are very close, so I don't go often. In fact, the only time I've gone was when they had the grand opening last July.

Watching the video gave me the urge to go visit the store again, particularly because they'd said that there were Star Wars figures there that I could acquire and add to my non-existent space station's population. So, I drove the whole way out there, which is about 45 minutes from my house, and looked the store over.

It had a better selection now than it did when I was there for the grand opening, but it still didn't have anything that I felt I needed to buy aside from some Star Wars guys. Sadly, my Ollie's was charging $3.99 per figure rather than $2.99 like they were in the video that I watched. So, I decided to only buy four of them. Here's what I chose:

I'm not much of a fan of the sequel trilogy anymore than I am a fan of the prequel trilogy, but these figures have a kind of generic Star Warsiness to them that should be pretty cool. For example, I could switch their heads out and then they're somebody totally different. Here's my Epic Heroes Star-Lord figure from yesterday's video as an X-Wing pilot.

Strangely, each and every one of these figures had a different-sized ball joint for their head to sit on, so I couldn't switch them back and forth with each other.  There are ways around that, though. People Dremmel out the socket to make the bigger ball fit, or Dremmel down the ball. Another way is to use some of that poster tack goop to fill the oversized socket and make the ball fit better when it's too small. It still can be done. 

Star-Lord fit just right, though. But I don't think I'll have his head on this body, because I want a Star-Lord in his Star-Lord outfit on the space station. We'll have to see just what kind of combinations we can make that make it look the best. These guys will mostly be background characters anyway, since they don't have elbows or knees. You can't really get them into even a normal walking pose without elbows or knees.

No comments: