Friday, September 22, 2023

Approaching Doom

I talked about my worries of the dangers of the upcoming Judgement Day that AI will supply to us, and whether I should bother to pour all my efforts into trying to write the books I've imagined all these years of my life if AI will soon be able to write hundreds of great books an hour. Rish listened to the episode (one of the few, but I think he had to because we were recording for the next episode and he needed to hear what happened in the story so he could respond to it. He did his homework). Today, he saw an article related to AI that he thought he ought to share with me. Check it out, then come back and finish the post...

TLDR: The director of a movie about AI thought it would be interesting to see if he could get an AI generated soundtrack in the style of Hans Zimmer to use in the movie. The soundtrack he got back he considered to be a 7 out of 10, but in the end he went with the flesh and blood Hans Zimmer, because he wanted a 10 out of 10 soundtrack.

After hearing that, I thought, 7 out of 10 is pretty good. If it’s already at that level, I bet it won’t be long before we’re flooded with Hans Zimmer-like soundtracks on all the movies that come out…oh, wait, that’s already happened. Every composer is basically an AI trying to make something that sounds like Hans Zimmer, so the singularity happened 15 years ago, I guess.

I wonder if there's a difference between AI and an unskilled hack trying to follow the trends...

No comments: