Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Connection With Manila

Back in November, I posted about my great uncle Glenn, who served and died on a submarine in World War Two. Here's a few pictures of him.

This is one of my favorite all-time photos. My dad is the little guy in the overalls and glasses. I don't know exactly when these were taken, but I assume it was just before Glenn shipped out.

Glenn served on the USS Snook. You can read about Glenn's exploits on the Wikipedia page that talks about the Snook.

I've always been proud to count Glenn among my ancestors. The USS Snook was lost in April or May of 1945, and no one quite knows how it met its end. So, he never had any progeny, so I sometimes try to count myself as his descendant. We do share some genes, after all.

Not too long ago, I listened to Dan Carlin's Hardcore Histories six part series called Supernova in the East.

It was an amazingly informative production, and also a very harrowing listen. The things that happened were hard to hear, but it made me even prouder to know that I had an ancestor who gave his life to put a stop to the things that were going on over there.

It's sad to know that they were only a few months from the end of the conflict when he gave that ultimate sacrifice. If only chance had let his submarine skate through for a few more months, but alas, that's not what life is like.

Why am I talking about all of this again, after doing a post back in November? Well, just the other day, I got an email from my brother-in-law. He's been traveling for his job, and he was recently in Manila. While he was there, he went to the Manila American Cemetery and found Glenn's name on the Wall of the Missing.

He sent back pictures of the place, including this one of the headstones.

The one at the front could be his, but, of course, it isn't. They don't even know for sure where the USS Snook went down, but wherever it is, that's his final resting place.

I'll probably never be in Manila, but I'm really glad that someone in the family was able to go and do this and send back pictures. It makes me feel even more connected to see this place where his name is honored for the sacrifice he made.

No comments: