Saturday, July 16, 2022

Word Count of the Beast

Last night, I managed to get in writing for my fifteenth day in a row. It's a good start, for sure. The fact that I made it that far in the first month without missing a day is pretty exciting. In the first fifteen days in 2019, on my way to my first 300,000 words in a year, I missed writing 3 times.

This time around, I haven't missed a day.

Not only that, but on midpoint day on the first month of this journey, I managed to land right on Rish Outfield's favorite number. Not kidding, I took a picture of it to prove it.

I checked my word counts from 2019, and I never landed on that number at the end of any day. I do remember checking where I was at one day, and having it come up at that number, and being tempted to stop just to say that I'd written that many words, but I couldn't, because my goal was a minimum of 1,000 words.

This time around, I'm still allowed to stop there if I wanted to. This month, the only goal is to write as frequently as possible, to get in the habit of writing every day. I'll only have two months that I can get away with a total like this.

This month and next month I can stop at 666. This month it's get into the habit, no specific word count. Next month it will be a minimum of 500 words a day. But then that's it. After that it's 1,000 words a day from there on out, or I might not make it to my final goal.

So, it's fun that I landed there, and can joke about it once while it's still possible.

No comments: