Friday, July 22, 2022

Putting The First Priority First

I wrote a post yesterday about how I almost blew it and forgot to write. I got really bogged down in editing on Big Anklevich on Toys videos, ran into problems with clips that were corrupted, pulled my hair out for a while, and left the writing to the very last thing. I wasn't messing around, picking my nose, loafing on the couch, and doing nothing. I was working hard the whole day, but I wasn't working hard on writing.

That's a problem though. It's a misappropriation of my time. I have a lot of things that I'd like to do, a lot of things that bring me joy, and that I like to share with others, but there is one thing that stands above all of those, and that's writing. 

Writing is the thing that I've wanted to do my whole life. I've let many, many other things get in the way of that, and so I didn't finish writing my first book until I was 42 years old in 2017. I started writing in earnest when I was 24, but it took me 18 years to get enough discipline to get beyond producing a few scattered short stories here and there.

Even that wasn't foolproof, though. I let that discipline lapse, and strayed away from writing again. Then I struggled to regain it, let it lapse, and strayed away again. Then again. I've had some pretty amazing highs, but I always make sure to follow them up with a big ol' trough.

So, I'm back at it again. Developing the discipline to write all the time and actually finish things. Developing the discipline needed to write a long form novel. I've been on it for 20 days, and I feel like I'm getting there again. Yesterday, I almost blew it, though. Why?

Well, like I said above, I let lesser priorities take precedence over the number one thing. I let a hobby take center stage over my number one priority. That taught me a good lesson, however, and I'm going to learn from it.

If I want true discipline, then I have to put priority number one first. I need to take care of the writing before I mess around with videos or podcasts or entertainment or anything else.

Yesterday, I did that. I repented of my error, and fixed it. I did the writing early, then spent time on the other stuff later. What happened? Well, instead of topping out at my lowest total of the month, 225 words, I landed on my second highest word count of this whole time, 1017.

I need to get that going on, because it won't be long until 1017 is barely enough to pass my goal for the day. Time to make priority one first. The other things can come in their time. It'll all work out, and soon enough, I'll have Ankletown Station ready for y'all to read and enjoy.


No comments: