Monday, July 11, 2022

We All Float Down Here

They came bright and early today. I was still in bed when the doorbell rang, because I hadn't managed a good night's sleep. Since they were already there to do the floors, I wasn't going to manage a good night's sleep anymore.

They are only doing the float today, which is where they put down a thin layer of concrete to level the floor so there won't be weird divots in your floor that trip you every time you walk across them. I'm afraid that may mean that the toilets downstairs will be removed today. I'm not looking forward to when that happens, and we only have the one upstairs to use for the whole family.

Also, they're floating the kitchen. Will we have to unplug the fridge for the day while it dries? Can other outlets in different spots of the house handle the power demands of the fridge or will they trip the breaker?

I'd ask, but the supervisor is the only one who speaks English well enough to carry on a conversation, and he already left. I think he'll be back later, but by then the actual worker, who I believe is the supervisor's dad, will be done, and whatever needs to be done will be done. My Spanish is not good enough to go in the other direction either. Si ele fosse Brasileiro, não teriamos esses problemas.

There's already a lot of goop on the floor, ready to be shaped and flattened though.


I don't know, but I'm not looking forward to any of the next few days.

Oh, well, the guy just told me he's done already. I guess the toilets and the fridge get to stay another day. All they really did was remove any bumpy spots. I thought they would have to raise the kitchen and the bathrooms to the same level as the rest of the house where the hardwood had been, but they just needed to smooth out the transition areas, I guess.



Okay, so we're already done with day one. Tomorrow, bright and early again, they'll be back to lay down some luxury vinyl planking. Yeehaw.

No comments: