Friday, July 1, 2022

I Love You, 300,000

I'm always doing something, but as often as not, it's a waste of time. There are certain things that take priority in my life, things that I want to accomplish before shuffling off this mortal coil. One of those things is writing.

In 2019, I started a goal to write 300,000 words in a year. I set it up to run from one birthday to the next, but it went so well that by August 29th, 2020, two full months early, I made it over 300,000.

I kept writing every day until I finished the story that I was on, and then I decided to take a little break before getting back to it.

Well, it's July 1st 2022 now, and that break is finally coming to an end. It was a little longer than I meant it to be. Almost two whole years. I digressed in a lot of ways in that time. The atmosphere created by our response to Covid-19 really threw me for a loop, and I let it rob me of my happiness.

But, I'm back on the right track. Marshal Latham helped me get my health back on the right track, and now I feel secure enough that I can try writing every day again.

So, July to July, I am going doing the 300,000 words thing again. In fact, I'm going to top 2019-20. 2022-23 will be my best writing year ever. Now, I'm not making the goal a pie in the sky, I'm just making myself outdo my last total.

So, in 2020, I finished off that challenge with 304,474 words. If I get 304,475 then I win. Of course, I think I've learned from my mistakes. If I can manage to get myself writing every day like that, I'm not going to take any breaks again. It's going to stay. I won't let it go, just like I won't ever give up on healthy eating again. So, I expect to get a lot more than 304,475. That's just the basement for my ambitions.

Today, even though it was kind of a struggle to get myself started, I wrote 641 words. That's plenty. I'm going to build up just like I did last time. This first month is to get myself back in the habit. Remembering to write every day will be enough of a struggle for now to even worry about how many words I'm writing.

Next month, I'll have to get 500 a day (which I guess I already hit today). Then the month after that will be 1,000. That's the same ramp up that I did last time.

I'm worried that life may get in the way of this, but I'm going to plunge forward anyway. There's a lot of things up in the air right now, and my life may change significantly in the next few months. Hopefully I can still manage to write every day through it all. I'll have to see what I can do, but I'll be reporting in here often, so you can cheer me on if you'd like.

I'd certainly appreciate it.

No comments: