Saturday, July 9, 2022

I'm On The Leader

I went out and took a walk this morning again--day two in a row for that, though I'm not making any goal to go every day or anything.

It was nice out there, and I was enjoying myself. Then I guy went jogging past me, and said "Morning." I have no idea what came over me, but I suddenly wanted to go run as well.

I started thinking about the goal that I never achieved of running a marathon. I first came up with that goal back when I was in college--along with a bunch of other goals on a bucket list I made. All the others were things like going bungee jumping and skydiving. Things I feel no desire to do anymore. The marathon, however, I still really want to achieve.

I thought about the Houston Marathon, which runs in January every year. Is it too late to start preparing for running that this year? Probably, but maybe next year...or maybe there's another marathon around town that I could try a few months later.

I thought about how, once I left town, Rish got into all the things he used to make fun of when I did them, like hiking and running. Yet, I fell out of those things when I got here. I hardly ever go hiking, and I never run anymore.

The next thing you know, I started jogging on the trail. I ran as long as I could, then took a short rest, walking instead of running for a bit. Then I ran some more, pushing myself to make it to a certain spot before quitting.

I should have felt miserable, lungs burning or something like that, but I didn't I was feeling a little euphoric instead. I felt great. Amazing!

I rested, walking for a little while, then ran again, all the way until I emerged from the greenbelt trails back onto the surface streets. I was sweaty and stinky, but I felt wonderful. Spectacular!

I'm going to have to keep going with this, I think. It's how I first got started with running back around 2010 or so. If I just push myself a little farther each day, before long I'll be running the whole way. Then I can run a little further each day. Then...maybe I can run a marathon and cross it off my list.

I certainly can't let Rish be the only doing the things that I love, anyway. I ought to do them too. Watch out, Rish, I'm on your back.

Maybe we could do a marathon together? What do you think, Rish? (I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to that one).

No comments: