Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Floors Are In

The floors are finished now. My wife came home, and called me at work just so that she could gush euphorically about how beautiful they were. Unfortunately, I'm not a very good audience for such things. I don't really get excited about home improvements or decorations. If something is serviceable, that's probably enough for me.

She was in love, though. She couldn't stop talking about them. She sent me this picture, which was the one place in the house where things looked complete.

They had another day of work to do, however. There was still a few spots they hadn't made it to on the first day, and they were supposed to come and install quarter round on the baseboards to connect them in with the floors.

That turned out pretty well, but now we have to go through and caulk and paint all of the baseboards. There's always more work for us somehow.

We discovered one big problem on the final day of the flooring install. When the guys went to put our toilets back on, they found that the flanges that they are supposed to attach to were broken. They said they couldn't put our toilets back, because they either wouldn't attach properly, or they would rock back and forth and probably leak from the bottom...and that's the worst spot for a toilet to leak if you ask me.

So our bathroom was just a hole in the ground, and that wasn't changing quickly.

They told us we needed to call a plumber to come and install new flanges, so I called around and the best I could find was one that was unable to come that day or the next day. Not until Friday could they arrive to fix it. So, we were going to be without toilets on the main floor for a little bit.

My wife was not pleased about that, or the fact that we were going to have to caulk the quarter rounds ourselves. She assumed that they would be doing that, but they did not.

That night, my wife had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, and had to walk all the way up the stairs to do so. By the time you make that big of a trip in the middle of the night, it's hard to get back to sleep afterwards.

I suppose it's a first world problem, right? Wait, or maybe not. Not having indoor plumbing isn't a first world problem...though we did have the one toilet, so that's not an honest assessment. Not having multiple toilets is a first world problem, so I guess I should quit moaning about it.

On Friday, they fixed our flanges, and wanted hundreds more to install the toilets. My wife is all about DIY, and we've installed toilets before, so she said no thanks, and the two of us put them on the next morning. It was pretty exciting to have our own thrones to sit on again when we were done.

Huzzah!

After we'd finished there, my wife got right to work assembling kitchen cabinets. We've had a crap ton of Ikea cabinets in our garage for months waiting for this day.


So, we're on to the next phase. I can't wait until we have a kitchen back and I can use some dishes again. At least we have toilets though. That's a big improvement. And I'm very excited to be able to walk indoors without shoes if I want to.

No comments: