Friday, July 8, 2022

The #1 Exercise

The number one exercise for promoting longevity is...

Walking.

If you can walk, you'll last longer than those that can't, or don't. Walking helps maintain the muscle tone needed to not fall and break your hip.

I'm still a long way from needing to worry about longevity yet, but it's a good exercise, especially to get started. You don't have to be starting out, like me though. Shawn Baker, who is known as the guy who popularized the carnivore diet, and looks like this:

Still goes for a walk every day. So, it's not just for out of shape guys who can't do more.

However, I am still an out of shape guy, and I need something more simple to get started.

So far, even though I've been eating right since March 15th thanks to the help of Marshal Latham, I haven't done much in the way of exercise. I thought it might be a good idea to change that, so today, I went out and took a walk on the greenbelt trails around my house.

I've said it before, but I absolutely love the greenbelt trails here. The vegetation out there is so lush that you can barely see the houses behind it. I could easily believe that I was walking one of the more manicured trails at a national park. It's a great thing to have access to.

I'm going to do my best to keep this up. I'd like to take a walk every day. I'm sure that it won't always work, and I'm not going all crazy about it like I did when I was trying the 75 Hard thing, but I'm going to push for that achievement as much as I will toward writing every day and eating right.

I'll see if I can't bring my good camera out and get some cool pictures of birds and stuff. I saw a particularly cool looking bird today with a really bright beak. It would have been a picture worth sharing if I'd found it.

I also may see what I can do to combine my goals. If I take my phone, and talk into the recorder, I can write while walking. Now that'd be some good stuff, right? 

I'm sure some of the folks that I pass will look at me a little funny, but what do I care? I don't know those people, so it's not like I'll lose their friendship for being weird. I've seen plenty of people talking on their phone as they walked. This wouldn't be much different...except when I'm narrating a murder scene or a sex scene or...well, maybe I'll just pause when I pass people if I'm doing something like that.

No comments: