Wednesday, May 3, 2023

The Batwing

I had to drop my daughter off at the airport Friday morning, but it wasn't the close airport, it was the one that was almost as far away as driving to work for me. Once she was gone, I had three hours before I needed to be at work. I could have spent that driving an hour back home, having one hour there, and then driving another hour back to work, or I could just hang out near the airport and then go to work when the time was up.

I decided for the latter, if just to save gas...although hanging around the airport meant finding the stores that had toys to see what kind of stuff they had, so saving money turned out to not be all that integral.

In fact, not long after starting my rounds out there, I went to a Target, and saw the Batwing toy from the new Flash movie that I've heard the toy collecting community talking about online.

It's a pretty big ship, and it came with two figures. I thought the Batwing would be cool in my future space station with the Star Wars ships and other ships around it. I usually try to wait until things go to clearance, and then take advantage of the great prices. That works sometimes, but often, I never see the things I really want on clearance. This ship was only $25, which is how much I paid for this guy:

That's right, a figure that is half the size of the two that come packed in with the Batwing cost the same price. So, I've been far more reckless in the past over certain toys. $25 didn't seem too out of line for once. Maybe I should support this company just for pricing their toys in a reasonable manner. I texted Rish and asked him if he thought I should get it, but he didn't get back to me right away, and I gave in.

Rish eventually texted back and said that he thought there were probably millions of these things produced, and I could certainly get it on clearance later, and I had to text him that picture above and tell him he was too late.

I probably will find it on sale, because that seems to be when I find things on sale, after I've already paid full price  for them.  I don't feel ripped off, though. I'd be willing to say that the price offered legitimate value.

Here's the ship flying around my study. I wonder if I could clip it out and put it on a different background...

Had to take a another picture, because that background was too busy for Photoshop to select just the ship, but here we go:

Looks pretty decent. It'll be even funner when it's in the space station, which I've never worked on. Speaking of that, though, I was looking at this picture by Empire Toy Works today and it made me think.

I know that Empire Toy Works has built his entire space station out of wood, and it's basically a giant playset, but looking at this picture made me think that it didn't have to be like that. If you look at that picture, it could just as easily be a modular set, where you make several building fronts, and then shift them around to make picture after picture.

This realization sent me out to the dollar store, and I bought a bunch of foam core boards (and some goofy tchotchkes that I could use in the creation of the space station). I actually have some supplies. This space station thing may actually happen. HOLY <censored>!

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

I didn't know you bought some foam core boards. Get cracking!