Saturday, May 20, 2023

Zinnia Update

The saga of the mailbox planer zinnias continues. Just like Remo William's adventure.

As a quick recap, we have this planter built into our mailbox, and every year, all we've every grown there is weeds that we had to pull out so the HOA didn't put a lien on our house. I've tried a few times to grow something else there, but my disorganized nature always left those plants without the water they needed to flourish. So, this year, with renewed determination, and one slight step toward organization, I embarked on a plan to change this.

I dumped a bunch of potting soil in there to make sure it had the nutrients it needed. I planted zinnia seeds, because they did so well in our backyard last year when my wife grew them. I set an alarm on my phone that repeats every day to remind me to water the flowers. Then I watched them grow.

They went from tiny sprouts peaking out of the ground:

To a mass of leaves filling the planter box:

It already looked much better, but I didn't have any flowers. I posted the other day when I finally started seeing buds on my plants.

Now, as Barry Manilow always said, it looks like we made it!





These flowers are still pretty small. Zinnias can get pretty big, and make lots of blossoms before they're done, so it's just the beginning, and it already looks amazing. As Barry Manilow always said, I love it when a plan comes together.

No comments: