Thursday, October 26, 2023

Capsule

My wife dragged me to the Home Goods store this weekend. She wanted to look at their Christmas stuff...yeah, the week before Halloween that's what she wanted to do. She used the excuse that she needed to get some shampoo that they have at TJ Maxx, which is apparently an affiliated store or something, because the two stores are combined into one, like you can sometimes find with KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut.

Since we were in TJ Maxx, I told her I was going to look at their toys. They usually only have crap that babies would like, but I figured I'd look through it anyway. It was better than looking at shampoo and Christmas decorations.

I found something that I liked, surprisingly enough. It was this thing:

Well, not exactly that. Mine is a little different. For starters, mine has a different colored top to it. Oh, also someone had stolen the astronaut off the package. That was fine, because I didn't want the astronaut. I would have just thrown it out. Even better, because the figure was gone, they'd marked it down to $4.50. I didn't have to wonder if I was spending too much, therefore.

I like mine better than the one in the picture above that I found on Amazon. If you look at it compared to the Apollo 11 capsule, they're pretty similar in shape.

Similar window shape and stuff. I think I could probably get away with doing nothing more than just weathering the toy and make it look a lot like the Apollo 11 capsule. But I could take it further and paint it in shades of brown to really bring out the look.

I wasn't sure if the capsule would work for what I had in mind. I was thinking it could be an Earth-based capsule that had somehow made its way onto Ankletown Station. It could probably fit in with the 1/72 scale things like the Lightyear ships I have.

Doesn't look too bad, does it? About the right size. I posed it with some of the one inch tall figures that came with the Lightyear spaceships to see if it looks silly or good.

Again, I think it doesn't look too bad. It's probably a little big. Those capsules were so small that they barely had room for the astronauts inside of them, but it could be a capsule from a more advanced rocket or something. I think it still works. I'm going to have to give this thing a good paint job, and throw it on a landing platform somewhere in the station. I like it.

No comments: