Monday, October 23, 2023

Three Stacks To The Max

On YouTube the other day this video came up on my feed:

This guy was going on about how Ollie's Bargain Outlet has a bunch of GI Joe Classified figures on for cheap prices. He had a picture of two Crimson Guards and a Sgt. Slaughter that he'd gotten there. The Crimson Guards were marked at $4.99 and the Sgt. Slaughter was marked at $12.99. Those figures retailed at $24.99 and $33.99 respectively.

I was very interested to hear this. I'd passed on the Sgt. Slaughter because I'd picked up one from Action Force already, and the one from Hasbro was so worthlessly expensive. I was pretty sad to pass it by, though, because the Hasbro one comes with an accessory that is an action figure of itself. It's like an action figure inception, a figure within a figure.

Now, if they're suddenly showing up at Ollie's for much cheaper, I had no reason to turn it down, and a good reason to hit the road and see what Ollie's has. So, that's what I did the other morning.

I was disappointed when I arrived, however. There were no Sgt. Slaughter figures anywhere. There weren't even any Crimson Guards. I already have three of those guys. 

But I would happily build the largest army I could of them. Ten, twenty, thirty? I'd buy them all.

What they did have was a load of those figures from the Snake Eyes movie. There were a few Snake Eyes figures, tons of the Baroness, tons of Storm Shadows, tons of Scarletts, and tons of Akiko (the character invented for the movie that doesn't exist in GI Joe lore from the past).

I looked through their other offerings, because they had to have a thing or two that I'd like to buy. It's a big store, and they have a lot of toys. I found several things that I considered getting. Then I came across something that surprised me...Star Wars Vintage Collection figures.

After gushing so much about how they had one or two of them at Ross the other day, I couldn't ignore something like this. They had Kuiil, the ugnaught who helps Din Djarin in The Mandalorian.

I have one of these figures, but I saw somebody do a video on how to use him to make a highly articulated jawa, and I bemoaned the fact that I didn't get more of him the one time I saw him go on sale on Amazon. I could totally buy as many as I want now that they are only $4 though. If only I could find the jawas on for $4 too.

I was thinking about seeing if I could switch out the heads on Kuiil and baby Anakin.

I tried it, however, and their heads didn't really fit very well on the body of the other. Also, they looked pretty silly. Kuiil is much heavier than Anakin, so their bodies didn't swap out well.

They also had a character called Luminara Unduli.

I had the sneaking suspicion that I already had this figure, but I couldn't confirm it from Ollie's. I tried to search through old blog posts on my phone to see if I ever mentioned it, but never came up with any. I gave in and bought it. It was only $4, so if I had it already, it wouldn't be a huge disaster.

As soon as I got home and checked the blog posts on my computer, though, I found the figure in one of the posts I'd made about taking the census of Ankletown Station. Dang.

But it was okay. She comes with enough accessories that if I removed a few of them, she could easily look like a different person.

Makes a pretty big difference, I think. If I had to take it further, I could even put this head onto one of those Valkyrie bodies, and she could be one of those ladies with her helmet off. I don't know that I'll go there, but I could.

Lastly, I also found this old figure of Ponda Baba, known to us older folks as Walrus Man.

It's not actually an SWVC figure. It's from back when they tried doing Star Wars Black Series as a 6 inch line as well as a 3 3/4 inch line. That didn't last long, but there are apparently some figures still hanging around from those days.

I pretty much buy any figure that is an alien, so this guy was a must. He even comes with an extra arm where you can simulate it being cut off by Obi-Wan.

"This one's not worth the trouble."

So, those were my pickups at Ollie's. On the way home, I passed a Ross, and figured I would stop in and see if they had anything I hadn't already seen. They didn't. There was a Target next door, and this weekend was its grand opening, so I figured I'd check it out too.

In their toy section, I found something I'd yet to see in the wild, Cad Bane--the bounty hunting space cowboy that got his live action debut in the Boba Fett show that sucked so badly last year. 

Cad Bane was probably one of the coolest things about the show, and I was happy to buy this figure, even though it was at full price. He's pretty nice. He makes me wish that I'd bought some of those old Dime Novel Legends figures back in the day, so I could make them have a high noon confrontation. A stand off between a cowboy and a space cowboy could be pretty fun.

Anyway, these four new figures make a pretty good addition to my population.

No comments: