Friday, October 27, 2023

Two Heads Are Better Than One

A while back, Disney decreed that they would not make any more 'slave' Leia toys. That meant that even though they now have a new amazing face painting technology that makes the toys look as realistic and accurate as can be, they will not be remaking the old Star Wars Black Series figure of Leia in her sexy metal bikini again. The figure that I have is the only one I will be getting.

But the face on that thing looks terrible. It's super basic, almost primitive compared to what they have now. I see all the new Leia figures coming out, and their faces look great. No chance for a new figure to go with all the other Jabba's palace figures I have, however.

Unless...

A lot of people will buy newer figures and swap the heads over to older figures that need an upgrade. I talked with Rish about that, and he suggested that I needed to get the Yavin ceremony figure of Princess Leia. The hair was pretty much the same for both figures, so it would be a perfect swap. Of course, I wasn't going to pay full price for just a head, so unless I found it for cheap...

In steps Ross. I was there the other day, and I found a Yavin ceremony Princess Leia for $5. At that price, I could bear to buy a figure just for the head.

I pulled my other Leia off the shelf to try the head swap. The hair really was pretty similar.

She had winding braids on top of her head in the new one instead of golden combs or whatever that is, but it's close enough for a less fussy fan like myself.

When I pulled the heads off and swapped them, though. Things didn't look right. The new head was a little bigger, and it sat on the neck wrong, way low, making her look like she had no neck. I messed with it a little until I thought it looked right. What do you think?

It might be a little big. I can't decide if I like it or not. Maybe I am one of those fussy collectors after all. For now, however, I put her back in her spot on the shelf with the new head in place.

Stuck in that crowd, it's hard to see any issues at all, so I'll probably just stick with it. Unless, I suppose, they decide to change their mind and release a new version of this figure sometime in the future. You never know.

No comments: