Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Eclipsed

We took a trip out to a town west of Waco Sunday night so that we could be in the path of totality for the solar eclipse that happened yesterday.

We camped at a farm there...mostly because all of the hotel rooms in the area had been jacked up to about ten times their normal price.

Freakin' supply and demand...grrr. I have no reason to complain, however. It was a wonderful experience.

The camping was fun.

And the eclipse was absolutely marvelous. I couldn't believe what I had been missing.

It was neat, because, though we were camping, we weren't out of range of cell coverage, so I was able to talk to Rish on the phone about it.

We were out experiencing this mostly based on his recommendation. He'd driven up to Idaho to experience the 2017 total eclipse, and had called me the next day and raved about it for about an hour. Since that day, it's come up in conversation at least a dozen times again. He was totally mesmerized by the experience, and now I have been as well.

He called me as the eclipse was in progress, the disc of the sun was somewhere around 50% eclipsed, and we talked on the phone with each other the whole time. I don't know how much he appreciated. the opportunity to hear my gasps and shouts of amazement, but I thought it was neat to be able to experience the phenomenon with my friend, even if he was states away in a completely different region of the country. 

I guess cell phones aren't always bad and sometimes are responsible for things other than rotting our brains, children's brains, and the fabric of society. On occasion they can be worthwhile as well, eh?

1 comment:

Rish Outfield said...

I absolutely appreciated it, man, that you'd let me share in something so unique and milestoney.

It was not unlike how you put me on Speaker when you watched THE SIXTH SENSE (so I could experience it alongside you), or the first time you listened to Taylor Swift's "Mastermind," or during the birth of your first child.