Sunday, April 21, 2024

The Illustrated Editions of The Witcher

On Friday, I talked about my Dune book, and showed off its lovely features. I don't have many books like that. Most of them are used books that I got as cheap as possible. I do have a few, however, so I think I'll hightlight a couple more of them today.

Back in 2022, my nephew was sharing his Audible password with me, and allowing me to listen to all the books he had on his account. He had a job where he drove around all day every day, and so he had a great deal of time to listen to audiobooks if he wanted to. So, his collection was pretty vast. He decided to listen to the Witcher series, I suppose because the Netflix show had made them into household names, and I was happy to hear it. I had attempted to check out the first Witcher book on audio from the library, and the wait was something like six months, so if I actually wanted to listen to these books, this was a much more likely way to make it happen.

Well, I friggin' binged the hell out of those books. I loved them. I listened through them so fast that smoke was rising off my phone by the time I was done. It hadn't taken long for me to decide that I wanted to add them to my shelves...oh, that's how I usually do my book collecting, by the way. I listen to the audio from the library or Audible or wherever I can get my hands on it, and then if I like it enough, I put it on my list to acquire for the shelves.

This Christmas, I put the Witcher books on my list, and my daughter bought me one of them...not the first one, though. It was the most expensive one. She bought me the second one instead. It was a really nice fancy one as well. Here it is:

The Sword of Destiny, the Illustrated Edition. That second part is what made it so expensive. It wasn't just a book, it was a picture book. Not a complete picture book like, say, those Harry Potter editions are, but it had a lot of fancy stuff, like the Dune book I mentioned on Friday. The inner covers were printed with colorful designs.

That main blue color is used throughout the book, on every single page, which surely costs more to print, I assume.

The start of each story got a fancy title page.

And there were several images printed in those colors throughout the pages of the book as well.

I started saving up money to get the rest of the books, and before too long, I got book one, The Last Wish, Illustrated Edition.

This one was the perfect companion. As well it should be, since the second book was made to compliment this first one. It had all the same stuff, only done with a different accent color. Red for this one. The interior cover was the same.

The book was printed with the two colors.

And the illustrations were placed throughout.

They're great books. I'll have to go back and read them again and again over the years to make it all worth it. The stories were good enough, that in a few years, I could see myself doing just that.

I have also recently acquired the rest of the series, though those aren't fancy illustrated editions. I guess maybe I'll talk about them tomorrow.

No comments: